Chapter Nine

A/N: I'm back, and have finally had access to both my laptop and internet, so have been able to write this new chapter! Hopefully, you will enjoy it, and will find that it sets the scene well for upcoming chapters. Thank you so much for reading, and for all the support. Have a great day!

It was late evening in New York, and the sight of the vibrant skyline was being observed from the balcony of Camila Cabello's apartment. She was leant over the railings, chin propped up by her hand, calmly staring down at the flurry of taxis and cars moving around below her. She liked Manhattan, and always had, but it filled her with a sense of insignificance – it was a huge concrete jungle, and she was but one girl alone in the centre of it all.

Quickly, she reprimanded herself. She was not alone... she had Ruben.

Yet, he was not here at the moment. He was out in a business meeting.

Naively, she had imagined that coming to New York with her new husband would be like a second honeymoon. They could visit Broadway shows together, and wander down Fifth Avenue, and go on a river cruise down the Hudson. It had, unfortunately, not materialised like that, and she had largely been stuck inside, too nervous to stray outside by herself.

Except for those meetings with Lauren.

She cringed at the memory, and shook her head. Those had been nothing short of a disaster! Clearly, the rose tint of childhood had given Lauren's character a varnish, because in adulthood, she did not feel like she recognised her old friend. The girl she had known in their youth would never have been so hostile when paid an unexpected visit, and she certainly would never have dreamed of turning up to a reunion dinner intoxicated. Maybe she had never known her at all.

The thought made her sadder than she could say. These days, she could really do with every friend that she could find. It seemed that, when she had turned eighteen, all the people she had grown up with had sprouted wings, and flown off to different corners of the globe to make their own fortune. She had remained in the nest, too timid to take the jump when it was so much safer to stay in the protective hold of her family. Amongst many, Lauren had gone, accompanied by Dinah, and Camila had very much been left companionless.

She had been desperate to find a purpose, and a confidant, and that is why she had been so relieved when Ruben had paid her attention. He seemed to see her for her, rather than just her inheritance. The name Cabello attracted endless suitors, but none of them could be bothered to wait long enough to try and really understand who she was without it. Ruben had, at least, made an effort to.

There was a slam behind her, and she turned to see Ruben walking in. His suit jacket was slung over one arm, and he dropped his briefcase to the floor by the door.

"Hello," she smiled at him.

He looked up, and returned the smile.

"What are you doing out there?" he laughed.

"It's a nice view," she shrugged.

These sorts of trivial things never much occurred to Ruben. He did not like sitting still to admire things; he lacked the patience to do so, and subsequently favoured action over quiet time to contemplate.

"Come inside," he gently ushered her in, "And close the door. There's a draught,"

She obeyed with a heavy sigh, and the sounds of the city ceased to permeate the apartment.

"Now!" he announced, once Camila was sat down on the sofa, "I have some news!"

She beamed at his enthusiasm, "Go on then! Tell me what it is – you can't leave me in suspense!"