Journal Writing

This is something I feel needs to be addressed. Journal writing isn't like being a novelist, or a plain writer. 

Journal writing can have slang, it can do anything as long as it makes sense to the reader, which would likely be you. What you need to think about is that if you are a journal writer that writing stories are completely different. When you write stories, you can't just do it to appease you, unless the stories are just for you, which is fine, but I am speaking to the people who write for yourself and others. You need to think about the audience, I will get into this deeper in a separate chapter but know that if you are a journal writer and want to write stories, keep in mind that if you want people to read them, write what they want to read, not particularly what you want to read, especially if you want to make a career or become very serious with writing. 

Don't let this discourage you from being a story writer, because if you want to write what you'd want to read then do it, just make sure that you aren't the only audience because if you are then not many would be too interested in reading your material.

Some bonus information:

If you are serious about writing, a good way to know if others like your work are to have BETA readers. What are BETA readers? I'm glad you asked. They are individuals who either volunteer or you ask to see if they can read your story before it is completely finished. I suggest you do this when you are done writing, you go through it and fix some errors, but before you send it to a full proof edit or editor.  You do this so if they don't like the story or they think you need to improve on something you can implement their views and ideas. As of now, I have 2 BETA readers, and as soon as I am ready they will read my story to make sure that it is okay. If you have an unreliable BETA reader, then you may need to find someone else. Time is everything, if your reader is taking FOREVER to read your story, then you may need to find another person to read it so you know you get the review. This process is important when you want to have an extra outside push in your writing.