Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Dinner was a little awkward. When the Marcetti family arrived it seemed best to get the elephant in the room addressed first, they were all wondering who Zander was anyway. Mel introduced him with a small explanation of where he had been and how he was back. There was some looks of shock, which Mel had expected. What came next she never imagined.

“I never thought you’d be the same Zander Mel talked about.” Anthony said with a shake of his head, he knew the guy everyone was surprised to see back from the dead.

“Huh?” Mel looked between the two most important men in her life and felt utterly and completely lost.  

Zander answered, “We share an art class at the community college. I’ve been going since I’ve been back. This is a little weird.”

“This whole night is weird.” Eric grumbled, standing off to the side away from the drama.

Mel was sure no one felt more in the twilight zone than her. She had always thought Anthony reminded her of Zander and now to find out they actually shared the same art class was surreal. “Well there, you know something about each other already.” She wasn’t good at looking on the bright side so she ungracefully walked out of the kitchen and back to the living room until dinner was done.  

Anthony followed quickly on her heels, sitting close on the couch. “It’s not nice to ditch me.” he leaned in and kissed her lightly across the mouth. She tensed only long enough for him to notice it before she quickly covered the reaction. “What’s wrong?” he knew to ask.

“Nothing.” She glanced past his shoulder and saw they were still alone. “I’m having some trouble figuring out what I’m supposed to be doing with all of this.”

Anthony nodded as he reached down and took her hand between the both of his. “Does something change between us now? Do you want me to hang back and give you time to process?” he wasn’t just saying the words, she saw it in his blue eyes he was willing to do whatever it took for her to feel comfortable.

Mel laid her other had across the fading bruise on his cheek. “No. I meant what I said about not being able to stay away from you or regretting any part of our relationship.” She was careful not to say the word sex in a house full of people.

“That was before you accepted Zander was back in your life.”

That was true, Mel mentally agreed. She didn’t know what to do anymore, she did know for sure she wasn’t willing to give up Anthony or her friendship with Zander. Could she really have the both of them? Her brain decided to play’s devil advocate. Anthony was her boyfriend and Zander was her best friend, why couldn’t she realistically have both? “You’re not going anywhere and I’m not going anywhere.” She squeezed his hand. “How did the meeting with your trainer go?”

“I have another fight for this Saturday.” That gave him only a full week to heal and Mel didn’t think that was enough.

“You still look like hell from the last one.”

“Thank you.” he was quick to kiss her before she could protest again.

“Sneaky bastard.” Mel clenched her jaw tight and kept her other heated words to herself as everyone stepped from the kitchen into the living room. She knew her mom and Mrs. Marcetti shooed everyone out so they could talk alone and probably enjoy some glasses of wine. With a day full of crazy it was Mel to break the silence ice first by asking Eric, “How did your test go today?” it was Tuesday and he had that important test to take.

Eric stared at her with a questioning expression until he saw the pleading look in her eyes. “Oh. Yeah it went fine, I’ll know my score tomorrow but I think I did well.” he nodded for emphasis.