Five

My eyes shot open to be met with a familiar ceiling. My head had a stinging pain as I tried to comprehend what the actual heck happened.

Then I remembered.

The black coloured veins. How in the world did he get those...? A-And his left eye colour..

You never saw this.

Those were the words I heard before I blacked out. His voice seethed with venom.

What exactly happened to him? How did he get black veins on his left cheek? Who exactly were his parents? What happens in his life?

My curiosity continued to grow. Somehow, I was determined to find out more. And what Zylen asked of me later that day was a perfect opportunity for me.

"Ethan~!" He called out as usual. Like nothing happened last night. Hiding my nervousness and curiosity, I replied back, "Mornin' Zylen. What's up?"

"Actually, I am very happy!"

Okay, him being very happy did not sound really appealing.

"What happened?"

"Mom and dad left for a business trip, so the house is free!"

"And?"

"They gave me permission to invite a friend!"

Now, he was almost bumping up and down from excitement. What was he? A kid who just received heaps of candy?

Sarcasm aside, this was actually good. No, great!

"So, I want you to come over!" Zylen nearly squealed.

I didn't stop to think. I didn't hesitate. "Okay!" I was fully engrossed into pondering on what I could find out at his house that I didn't notice the insane glint in his eyes and that sick, creepy grin spreading on his face.

"Would want to go where?" Mom questioned, studying me with squinted eyes.

"To a friend's house." I reply, trying hard not to flinch from her gaze on me.

"Why?"

If I said I was just going to hang out she would definitely say 'no'. I tried to desperately come up with a good excuse.

"Well... Th-there's a test the day after tomorrow... And we both wanted to uh, study for it," I bit my bottom lip hoping that she would buy it.

Luckily for me, that was partly true. We do have a test the day after tomorrow. She stared at me blankly for one whole minute before answering, "Fine. Work hard."

I hadn't realised I was holding my breath until she walked away. I exhaled in relief and went busy packing stuff I would need. It was going to be my first sleepover, so I was excited. And to think that I would be able to spend at least one night away from this shitty place felt awesome.

One night. Only one night...

Tonight is the night. Tonight is the night I will do what mom and dad can't... Tonight I will surpass them. I will show them. I will make them proud.

He grinned into the cold, dark scenery in front of him. His dream only within an arm's reach. So close that he could grasp it within his fingertips.

He saw the one who was going to enable him in doing so. He waved at the blonde, beckoning him to come over, the smile never faltering for even a single second.

The closer he came, the more his heart pounded from all the excitement. Tonight was a big night. A night that he would never forget.