Eight

A shrill scream escaped my mouth as Zylen pulled out my left eye.

"Shhh, we can't disturb the neighbours~" Zylen said, his index finger on his mouth. "But, since we're in the basement, it's highly unlikely for them to hear!"

I panted heavily, sweating. My vision was blurred - either from blood loss or the tears welled up in my eye.

"Z-Zy—" I was cut off by his hand being shoved into my mouth. What the hell!?

The metallic taste of blood burned my tongue as I tried wriggling his hand out. Tears were now sliding down my blood splattered face. The next thing I knew, he took hold of my tongue.

"Ethan~! Stop struggling," Zylen whined in the most absurd manner. Who wouldn't when someone shoves their hand into your mouth and grab your tongue!?

I felt a sharp object slice across my tongue. Blood filled my mouth, gurgling sounds and muffled voices being the only thing that escaped it.

I stared into nothingness in shock. From a side, I could hear Zylen mumbling about tastbuds and some other stuff related to tongues.

I swear if someone mentions the human body again... But then, will I be alive to hear someone say that?

Do I have hope to live anymore?

Am I.... Going to die...?

Did I live a fulfilling life?

Would anyone miss me if I'm gone?

I'm quite certain that my parents would be disappointed in me than being sad...

I wonder what Allen would think. Will he be shocked, sad, relieved? Would he even mind?

Did I do anything meaningful...?

My thoughts drifted to the silver haired boy beside me. He said that his dream was to become a scientist. To be better than his parents. To do what they cannot. To dissect a human.

When he asked me what my dream was... Didn't I answer him that I wanted to be a helpful person?

So, currently, aren't I helping him achieve his dream? As his friend, isn't this the least I can do?

That very thought eased me in very different ways. Maybe I could just pass away without that much worries or regrets...

By then, I felt very weak and far more lightheaded than before.

I managed to get Zylen's attention by a tug at his coat.

"Hm? What is it~?" He asked cheerfully. Hah, how can he still be so cheerful when he's going to lose his best friend? But then.... That's so like him, a smile formed on my lips.

I gestured towards the straps, hoping that he would get the hint. After all, I can't talk properly without my tongue.

"Eh~? But I'm not done yet," he pouted. I shook my head and gave him a disheartened smile and mouthed, "I want to tell you something..."

"Fine..." He mumbled as he unstrapped me. I could barely sit up. My body seemed to have gotten numb, but I forced myself anyway.

"What are you doing?" Zylen asked, tilting his head to a side, innocently like he didn't do something so outrageous.

I was so weak my body gave away, and toppled onto the boy in front of me. "Ethan?" He asked, holding onto both my shoulders and slowly lowering us to the blood stained floor.

The smell inside the room reeked of foul blood, gosh...

My eyesight now started getting darker and I could practically feel my life being slowly drained away.

Zylen loomed over me, looking at me with confused eyes, "What's wrong, Ethan? I'm still not done yet~" He pouted to which I forced a chuckle.

"I'...m h-happy fo- y-you..." I smiled at him as the whole world shut down for me...

Zylen stared at the blonde in his arms. He had gone terribly quiet all of a sudden and his movements were limp. Why wasn't he breathing anymore? Why was his eye closed?

And for the first time in years, Zylen retrieved a sane part of him.
His chest tightened in a manner that it became difficult for him to breathe. A large lump formed in his throat as his whole body shook.

Tears gathered at each corner of his eyes.

"E-Ethan...?"

No answer.

"H-Hey, Ethan...?"

Nothing.

His voice cracked, as his chest started hurting, "Ethan.. You're not gone, right? Ethan...? Ethan! Ethan!?"

Tears flowed down his pale cheeks. He shook the dead boy hard, hoping that he would open his eye, but to no avail.

Trembling, Zylen looked around the room - a lab used by his parents most accurately - and then down at Ethan and finally, the scalpel in his hand.

'I... I killed him...?'

The horrible thought haunted him, leading sobs to escape his mouth. The tears continued like waterfalls and his chest hurt tremendously.

'Am I sad...? A-am I hurt...?

'I-is this...

'Pain?'

He had been cut open since he was able to walk but never had he felt this hurt or pained.

After all, he just killed his only friend. His only best friend.

Zylen held on to Ethan, bringing him closer to his chest as he continued to cry. For the first time in a long time.

But, he couldn't help but think about how petty humans were. Through his tears, he smiled bitterly,

"Humans are interesting creatures after all..."

Ayyye~! Two updates in a day! Hope you guys enjoyed 'cause this is the last chapter. Next is gonna be the epilogue.

Feel free to leave a comment and vote if you liked it.

Thanks for reading, and have a nice day!