Chapter 55

The table was set for Harry and Alex's homecoming tonight. The first two days back at school without them were extremely stressful and I hated walking to every single class unaccompanied. So to say I was happy to have both of them home would be an understatement at its finest.

The lasagna was still cooking in the oven when the first person came home.

"Hello?" Alex's demanding voice rang through the empty ancient mansion hallways and to the kitchen.

"In here!" I yelled back as I finished icing the cake and licked the knife.

She walked briskly into the kitchen and stared at my creation sitting on the counter. "What is that?"

Ouch. I didn't think it looked that bad, I mean it looked homemade obviously but that's the treasure in it.

"I made a cake to celebrate seeing you and Harry again..." I shrunk into my spine becoming increasingly worrisome as to when Harry would arrive and if he would grill me about my homemade cake as well.

He was supposed to be here an hour before Alex, but he usually is always late so I didn't think much of it. Maybe I should now.

"It's...beautiful Callie," Alex gave me the fakest smile I've ever seen her give and I rolled my eyes at her ignoring the fake plea of guilt. "So where's Harry?"

"You know about as much as I do now," I shrugged my shoulders and sat on a stool overlooking the kitchen counters.

"Call him and see where he's at. I'm starving and if he's not here in the next thirty minutes we're eating without him," Alex poked her finger into the icing on my cake and stuck it in her mouth before swinging her hips to the seat next to me.

I sighed and grabbed my phone from my pocket. Harry where could you possibly be?

"Hello?" He answered on the last ring after I almost gave up on him.

"Hey, Alex made me call. She wants to know where you are. Is everything alright? You were supposed to be here an hour ago..." I tried to hide the annoyance in my tone but it came off strong and Alex even elbowed me in my side because of it.

"I'm sorry. I'm at my house. I was dropping off a few things and getting ready and I'm heading out now. So sorry. See you soon," he was rushing now and I felt the butterflies begin in my lower abdomen.

"Ok see you in a few minutes." I hung up and left my phone on the counter while I set out the lasagna on the table with the vegetables I prepared with them. I have been cooking myself things for so long now since Alaric travels so much that I feel the need to cook for Alex as well when he's not around.

"He's on his way," I hurried around doing last minute things.

"Dinner was really good, Cal. I always forget how well you can cook," Harry cuddled with me on the couch when Alex went upstairs to go to bed. I could tell his mind was somewhere else, but his eyes still kept their shine.

"Thanks," I flushed a slight pink.

His hands were tough against my soft skin, most likely from years of playing the guitar and being rough with his brothers. But he caressed me like I was the finest diamond he'd ever touched and that was one of my favorite things about him. At times he could make me feel so special.

"How was school?" He asked when I shivered under his skilled hands when they ran down my bare arms.

"Uneventful without you," I smiled and pulled away from him so I could look in his eyes. "Ms. Meyer is making us do a project. I chose you as my partner. I hope you don't mind." I sat criss cross next to him and fiddled with my nail beds.