Chapter 2: Surprise (Glory's POV)

Glory was lucky it was nighttime, she couldn't stop the flow of colors flooding through her scales. She felt how dare he but also felt as though SOMETHING was going on that made her feel like don't stop, I like it, which made her mad. "Why, I-I-I was protecting you my queen," Deathbringer stammered. "By spying on me?" Glory yelled. "Now who's going to wake the whole rainforest," he muttered. "Don't change the subject, Deathbringer!" Glory snarled. "Sure, I'll just go ahead and believe that you were 'protecting me' by sneaking into my hut." "Oh, come on," he protested, "Was it really that big of a deal? You know I can't live without you. I only came in because, because..." "Yes, spit it out," Glory pushed on. "I thought about what would happen if, say, a certain exiled queen were to set your hut on fire and you would burn to death inside without me being able to come in," Deathbringer said in a hurried rush. Glory just rolled her eyes. If he had been expecting her to have more of a reaction, he didn't show it. "Yeah," she scoffed, "And if you were in here, wouldn't it be easier for her to actually show up in the rainforest, not to mention you would probably burn to death too?" "At least I could cover you and you could push through the fiery walls, and the only one getting burnt would be me," he countered. "Do you really think," Glory argued, "That if you couldn't live without me, I could live without you?" That was true, but there was no way she was going to make it sound like it. Yikes, now I sound like Sunny, she thought. "Of course, Your Majesty, how could you live without the world's best assassin under your wing?" Deathbringer said with a cheeky grin. "Oh, if that's true, then I suppose all of Pyrrhia and the RainWings and NightWings depend on you," Glory commented, trying to fight back the pink that was trying to leap out of her scales. "Nope, I only depend on you," he said with a dramatic face. "And why is that?" Glory asked, preparing for the impending answer. "Because I couldn't live without you, considering that I would fall apart without my one and only queen," he said with a toothy grin. Glory, luckily enough, kept control of her scales and said, "Alright, that's enough drama for one night, Mr. Handsome face. Now go and sleep." "But, I have to guard you from the assassination plots, Your Majesty," Deathbringer protested. "No, you go sleep now," Glory insisted. "Why do you care so much?" he asked slyly. Glory wasn't really sure why she cared so much, maybe it was because she didn't want to deprive Deathbringer of sleep, even though he was her "bodyguard". Or maybe it was just that she wanted him to ask her something she would probably never agree to. Finally, she answered "Because if you don't sleep, you'll be drowsy and annoying tomorrow." To her surprise, Deathbringer laughed, "Fine, but only if I can sleep with you, my queen. That way you'll be guarded at all times." What? Glory thought. A rainbow of colors exploded along her scales. "Deathbringer!" she yelled in surprise, "I can't- I don't- how can I- fine, just don't touch me." "Aww, why not?" he asked with a fake sad expression. "Ugh, fine just don't get too comfortable," Glory insisted. She went to curl up at the far side of the hut cushioned with soft moss and leaves, and Deathbringer followed her. She brought her tail around her body and Deathbringer entwined his tail with hers. How was she ever going to fall asleep like this? She rested her head on her front talons and closed her eyes. As she was about to nod off, Glory felt Deathbringer slide in next to her, put his wing over her back, and turn to face her. "Oh believe me," he said, "I will."