12: More Important Things To Worry About

CHAPTER TWELVE: More Important Things To Worry About

"How many kisses until we go insane?

I don't know, let's find out."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

When Argent and Luna finally pulled up to the school, both Isaac and Scott were already there waiting with their hands buried deep within their pockets.

"Sometimes I forget just how fast werewolves are," Luna mumbled, unclipping her seatbelt and slamming the door shut behind her to join them. Whatever emotional turmoil she'd experienced during her conversation with Argent was carefully pushed to the side. The last thing she needed was to be distracted and have her heart ripped out because of it. Only determination was at the forefront.

Still, both boys gave her a particularly questioning look, most likely able to scent the various chemosignals, but she just smiled reassuringly at them. She wasn't sure if she even wanted to say anything to anybody about what Argent had revealed, nor did she know if she wanted to involve them in her newfound goal of uncovering her dad's killer. It was something she didn't want to burden anyone with, considering the Alpha pack situation, and something that should be done herself.

Scott nodded at her assurance and looked away, his gaze landing on Argent who'd suddenly walked toward a tree. Meanwhile, Isaac narrowed a suspicious eye at the man, a look that had Luna punching him in the shoulder as a reprimand.

Isaac was her number-one defender, but sometimes he was a little too trigger-happy. He scowled at her but listened to the silent plea to let it go, walking away to scope out the other side of the school.

Luna just shook her head and went to join Scott and Argent.

"Do you see that?" Argent asked them, none the wiser as he crouched down to inspect what looked like a firefly hovering over the roots of a tree.

"It's a firefly," Scott stated awkwardly. He didn't need to say it out loud, but Argent looked as though he'd never seen or heard about one before, staring at the thing with his eyebrows furrowed. Luna also stared, somewhat enamoured by the small insect. She crouched down next to Argent to get a closer look since she'd never actually seen one in real life before, but as soon as she reached out to gently touch it with her fingertips, it darted away.

"No, no. I know, it's–" Argent paused, standing up. "It's just, very unusual. California fireflies aren't bio-luminescent. They don't glow."

"Does that mean something?" Scott asked cluelessly. But before Argent could respond, a wolf howl sounded off in the distance, and all of their heads snapped towards it. The whole firefly situation was disregarded entirely in light of the sound.

It was a signal; as if Cora and Boyd were simultaneously taunting them to come out and play, and warning them of their arrival.

As quick as the little stop they made was, all three of them moved in tandem for cover. Scott gave them one last glance before running toward the sound, and Luna joined Argent back in the car.