Sweet Talking

"Doc, you see her too?" Gabe asked and then, after a moment, he gasped in betrayal, "You've met her before us and didn't tell us?! Where is the loyalty among men?"

Dr Sean nods with a sparkle in his eyes, "It was quite an unforgettable introduction."

"Some how I doubt it was as memorable as ours was," Kota argued, smiling at me.

Luke shook his head, "No where near as incredible as when North and I met her."

I was sure, at that point of the discussion, that my cheeks could cook eggs.

Possibly sensing my discomfort and nerves pick up, Dr Sean focused back on topic. "Either way," he began, "All you kiddies must go along to your classes. Sang and I have other more important appointments to attend to - nothing you or your tiny minds can begin to comprehend."

"You mean lunch," Kota laughed.

"Exactly. Important."

Luke's hand wrap around mine before giving me a comforting squeeze. "I didn't know ghosts could eat."

"I didn't know you knew any ghosts before me," I countered, feeling cheeky and sticking my tongue out at him to which he laughed, "touché.". I continued, "Its a long story. A story I don't completely know myself."

"And it's a story for another time. It will be a time where you boys won't be running late for class and keeping us away from our lunch," Dr Green huffed, taking my other hand, "Now off you go!"

He tugged me softly to get me walking after I waved goodbye to the boys. The hall was were still quite filled with people and I was sure that I would have to walk through a few of them just to keep up with the pace he had set for us. However, Dr Sean moved through the crowd so fluidly that I did not have any issues. He glanced back at me and his eyes sparkled as if he knew how unpleasant it was for me to walk through people and how grateful I was that I did not have to.

"This is my first day, you know?" Dr Sean began to explain, whispering to me as if what he was telling a secret. "I'm curious about the apple pie they have here and now I have the best food testing buddy to try it with."

"Have you asked Mr Blackbourne if he wanted to be a food testing buddy, too?"

His eyes widened, placing a hand on his heart. "And deal with another lecture about my 'unhealthy consumption of apple pie'? No thank you," he huffed with added quotation marks.

I smiled, trying not to laugh since he seemed to be quite serious. After we entered the empty cafeteria and pulling out a chair for me to sit, he gave me a little wink that shot giddy feelings up my spine and went to where the school cooks were preparing for lunch.

I looked around the familiar room- rows of tables and chairs, food trays slowly being filled with warm meals. It was hard to imagine that the place will be filled with people after spending so much time with it empty. The idea that I was about to actually have a conversation - a real conversation - with some one was even more unbelievable.

Dr Sean, after some time probably spent convincing the lunch ladies to serve some lunch early for him, came back with two plates. One held a single, large slice of apple pie I did not even see on the benches of food while the other plate had some Mac and cheese and a sausage cut in half.

"North and Owen would have my head if I did not get you to eat some protein," he said, trying to explain the other plate. "I hope this is ok."

I didn't answer, not wanting to reveal that the was the first time that I could remember having a warm meal. He sat in front of me, moving the plate to the centre of the table with enough space for both of us to reach the food comfortably. He passed a plastic fork towards me on the table and waited. I looked back at him, confused as to why he was just waiting and watching. With one hand he motioned for me to go ahead.

I lifted up the fork, dug into the cheesy dish and took a bite.

"You are very intriguing," he mused, finally picking up his own fork, "how can you pick up a fork and yet sink through the floors?"

After savouring the taste and swallowing my third bite, I answered the best I could. "I think it has something to do with concentration. When I'm really focused at a task like picking up a fork or book, I can. But when I'm too distracted-" the fork suddenly slipped through my hand and clattered onto the table. "I drop it. Though, I've never fallen through the ground before without thinking... I guess I was just really happy. And I'm sorry about that, by the way - sinking through the floor while you guys were talking. I didn't mean too. I wasn't running away or anything-"

Dr Sean took my hand and gave a teasing smile. "You're forgiven, Sang. I was really happy too meet you too."

My cheeks hurt from smiling so much.

We finished up the Mac and cheese and sausage and moved on the the apple pie. "The part we've all been waiting for," Dr Sean said clasping his hands with pure delight in his eyes. He dug in to the centre of the slice and hummed in satisfaction. "Not the best one, but not the worst," he concluded. "Definitely not as sweet as you."

Before I burst into flames, I busied myself with taking a bite of my own. Dr Sean continued, "Kota is going to come pick you up soon and introduce you to a few more of our friends who can hopefully see you too. I've got to warn you about Silas though - he'll look all tough and intimidating, but is actually a giant teddy bear. Nathan too and then there is Victor. They've been texting non-stop, feeling left out in meeting such a lovely ghost."

My mind suddenly filled with overwhelming thoughts that blurred out Sean's voice. There were so many of them. I wasn't ready to set myself up for disappointment if the rest of their friends couldn't see me. Maybe I'd screw up and make a fool out of myself and scare them away. Maybe this was happening all too soon, all to fast.

"Sang, sweet heart, stay with me a little bit more," Dr Sean voice called out to me, "Pookie, I promise you it'll be alright."

Wait...did I hear that right? "Pookie?"I repeated, both amused and flustered.

Dr Sean's lips turned upwards, looking very pleased with himself. "The nickname snapped you out of your dark and dangerous spiral of thoughts, didn't it? And anyway, it's cute."

And it made me feel like floating away again with the adorable sweetness of it. After taking a moment to focus to keep my feet firmly on the ground, I gave him a little grin in reply.

XxXxXxX

Sorry about this chapter, guys. I have no idea what's on offer at an American cafeteria. At my Australian high school we'd just have random days where you could get really nice packaged meals if you were quick, like pesto pasta and Cesar salad. Sadly, I was never fast enough...

I loooove Sean as the mood-maker. He does it so seamlessly. I hope we've got more of him like that in the new book! So pumped!! Anyone else see the cover and the little summary?

I've got to thank you all for your reviews and comments. Seriously, they've made me so happy and excited to write more. I love your theories and ideas. I'll try and slowly make the chapters a little longer too.

I hope you all have a great week and I will see you in the next chapter