Unrelenting

Standing still as a stone, my heart thumping in my chest, my bones trembling, I watched as he wondered the halls muttering my name and repeating a single phrase.

"It worked, it worked, it worked..."

What worked? Who was he? Why was he here?

"Sang, if you are here, I need you to trust me. I know you're scared. It's ok, it's ok."

It's not ok. It's not. It's not. It's not ok at all.

Who was this man? Why was I shaking so much? Why did it sound like his voice was coming from behind a closed door when he was right in front of me? Why did I hear the rattling of a handle? Why was I cowering in the corner of my room? Why had my mother let him inside our house?

Why me?

Why me?

"Sang, if you're here, follow me. I'll explain everything-"

No, no, no. I won't. I won't. Never. I won't. No. No, no, no.

I wanted to scream out for help. But why would I? No one would hear me. It's not like they would come and help me. They were suppose to be my fami-

"You need to trust me. I can-"

"Ah, Mr McCoy," a light hearted voice suddenly cut through the tense atmosphere.  My eyes ripped from the teacher to the familiar, concerned eyes of Dr Sean. He hesitated for a moment as he saw me, stepping back slightly. His hands were tightened into fists. "Mr Hendricks has called for you."

The man- Mr McCoy - quickly attempted to wipe the manic expression off his face and pull his clothes right. He cleared his throat and walked off.  Dr Sean walked closer to me slowly and cautiously. I was thankful for it- my body and mind were buzzing.

"Sang," he whispered softly, "lets go to Owen's office, ok? He's going to the other side of the building. We'll be far away from him."

His voice sounded fuzzy. I realised then that my hands were clutched tightly around my ears.

He held his hand out towards me.  It took a few moments of deep breaths before I could reach out and take it. We walked slowly down the hall. Any faster and my shaking legs would cause me to stumble and fall.

Although we walked slowly, it only felt like a few moments before Dr Sean had me sitting on a big leather office chair and Mr Blackbourne was passing me a cup of water. They were patient. They didn't push me to talk. All they did was assure me it was ok and that Mr McCoy was far away on the other side of the building.

"How did you know where I was?" I asked weakly, not believing for a second that it was a coincidence that Dr Sean had appeared in that hall way.

"There are cameras around the school," Mr Blackbourne explained after a glance at Dr Sean, "We saw Mr McCoy acting suspicious and then we heard him say your name."

Sang? Are you there?

I shook my head quickly. Desperately wanting to get his voice out of my head and fight off incoming panic attack, I asked, "why do you have access to the school's cameras?"

It took a while before I received a response. "Miss Sang, I cannot fully disclose the details to you, but we are not just here to teach."