Harry's Boggart

(A/N: Ok, in this chapter Professor Lupin is teaching them Defence Against Dark Arts in their fourth year. I know that it was in their third year, but let's imagine that...and also, the greatest fear shown by the boggart is different. Just thought that I should inform you all. That's all, enjoy!!)

"Alright everyone, line up and remember; the spell is Ridikulus!"

The excited little third years pushed and shoved their way into a haphazard line, straining to look at whoever was at the front, curious to see what their classmates fears were.

Ron Weasley, as many knew, was afraid of spiders.

Parvati Patil was afraid of snakes; a rational fear.

Harry was surprised to discover Draco Malfoy was afraid of his father ordering him to take the Dark Mark; the boy did not want to be a Death Eater? How very curious...

Before anyone realized what had happened, Harry himself had been shoved to the front of the line. Professor Lupin was at the back, comforting those who had been unable to produce a proper defense against the boggart, and did not realize the student he was trying to keep from the front had already made his way up. When the class began their cheers for him, though, Lupin bolted to save the class from seeing the horrid face of Lord Voldemort.

But he was too late; Harry's boggart had already taken its shape.

Later, Harry would wish Lupin had been fast enough to jump in front of him, that he had never discovered what his true fear really was, but in that moment, even he did not realize his greatest fear was just that. A fear, surely, but his greatest?

In his life, he surely had more to be scared of, like Dementors or the Dark Lord or the escaped convict Sirius Black.

So why was the confident, arrogant prat Draco Malfoy smirking at him from the middle of the room?

The boggart quickly realized Lupin was in closer vicinity and reshaped itself to a full moon, complete with ominous looking clouds; the silvery orb became a deflating balloon with the simple flick of a wand, but no one paid any mind to Lupin's greatest fear.

Everyone was far too curious about Harry's.

"You're afraid of me, Potty?" The real Malfoy wasted no time in confronting harry about his embarrassing revelation. "Should I be honored to rank higher on your list than Black or the Dark Lord?"

Harry's face flushed redder than the scarlet on his tie, and he desperately wished for Professor Lupin to call an end to class, but it was not to be; there was still twenty minutes left in class.

"What's wrong, Potter? Cat got your tongue?" The blonde took a mocking, menacing step towards the Gryffindor, but the latter did not move; his greatest concern was keeping the tears from leaking. He had tried so hard to keep the truth from coming out, so why did it matter if everyone thought he was afraid of Draco Malfoy? It was certainly better than the alternative of them learning the truth.

"Professor, I'm feeling a bit ill; would you mind if I visited Madame Pomfrey?" Best take an easily used escape route.

"Very well, Mister Potter, but I would like you back here before your next class; I have something you might consider valuable that a good friend of mine wanted you to have. He would've given it himself, but...ah...circumstances do not allow it." Confused, but only processing the fact that he was being released from the torment of his worst fear (or so it seemed), Harry set off in the direction of the Hospital Wing.

As expected, Madame Pomfrey found nothing wrong with him, but he was allowed to stay until the end of class, when, as ordered, he returned to the Defense room.