Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Stepping outside I could smell the smoke in the air. Ashes were falling from the sky looked like snow flurries. That's when I saw everything just go to shit right in front of my eyes.

Screams echoed off the trees in the forest behind all the houses and moans and groans just filled the air mixing with the screams of horror and pain in perfect harmony.

Bodies lined the streets as the smell of burning flesh filled my nose as I stood and watched all the chaos unfold. Staring into the eyes of a nearby zombie I realized their eyes are just as lifeless as they are. Milky white with the red of the veins in their eyes clear as day.

Okay, before I continue this madness maybe I should have started from the beginning.

The day is January 1, 2014. Kinda cloudy suggesting rain soon. It was about noon when I realized what the hell was going on outside of my highly protected house. I had a huge steel gate surrounding my land since it was in the middle of almost no where. Walking outside to check the mail. Everything looked semi-normal this afternoon. I could hear the moans and groans but discarded it for some one hooking up and having some really weird/uncomfortable sex. Brushing it off I grabbed the mail and started walking back to the house.

A weird smell hung in the air. Like a veil that hung over just our little neck of the woods. It was almost a sweet yet pungent smell. Just like the moans and groans I shrugged it off and pinned it as the oncoming rain. Locking the gate behind me I walked back inside to continue on my normal day.

___________________________________

Okay. Today. Present time!

Back to what I was saying. Today is January 2, 2014.

As I watched the flames grow higher and higher. Staring into the madness I call my street I didn't realize my friend Alistair walked up next to me.

"Star, you know we have to get out of here." He sighed.

Alistair realized this chaos yesterday. He lives in the city so it was slowly spreading there. This shit here started yesterday there. He told me we had to go yesterday but it wasn't this bad. I just brushed it off like everything else yesterday, now I realize I shouldn't have. Staring at all the chaos made me want to leave because I knew it would get worse. And it would get worse soon, maybe in a matter of hours. 

"You know I'm right." He elbowed me in the side.

"Go start packing, I'll be back inside in a minuet." I answered still staring into the chaos. 

I gave him the key to the weapons room and he skipped happily into the yard leaving the steel gate cracked enough so I could get back inside. Staring into the Chaos that took my brother and father I felt the rage build up. Grabbing the throwing knives I had stuck inside my converse knee highs I started throwing the knives into the heads of these monsters. Seeing the blood fly into the air in little droplets and then fall down and stain the asphalt in the road I smiled sadistically. Once I was out of knives and had attracted the attention of unwanted guests I slipped back inside being sure to hit the button that locked the gate.

Walking into the house I started packing up all the food that would last us on the road. After all the boxed food was in a duffle bag I zipped it up and walked into the weapons room. Grabbing my sword and bow I helped back up the last of the ammo and gun. Once everything -and I mean every single bullet and arrow that we could find along with every last cracker in the cabinets- was packed we threw all the duffle bags in the back of the jeep.

Grabbing the keys off the wall I tossed them over to Alistair. Getting into the car we drove through the back road in the woods to get to the main road. Watching the flames that had risen even higher disappear into the distance I let out a sigh. Smoke filled the sky and the ash still fell like snow flurries on Christmas day. Thinking back to what I did yesterday made me realize why we should have left sooner,