Chapter 2

Chapter 2

We've been hiding out in a camp for a couple days now. We've been well fed and so far no deaths, yet. It's just a small hidden area out in the middle of no where. A barbed wire fence surrounded the area along with many different alarms and triggers to let us know if something is nearing the camp.

I walked over to the where our food bank is and I smiled at Chris.

"Good morning my badass friend." He smiled.

"Is there anyway I can get borrow one of your sharper knives? I'm going to check the snares." I smiled back.

Alistair and I have made friends with the people here. We found them after the jeep broke down and we were wondering aimlessly through the woods. Lugging around ammo, weapons, food, and all that survival stuff is not fun. We got lucky that we found them. The first person we found was a ginger who almost blew our heads off with a sawed off shotguns. Pretty freaky if you ask me. Who knew that gingers like to wonder the woods with powerful weapons. After talking we found out she's the head of the camp.

"Who are you going with?" He asked.

"Cameron. She's a good hunter, specially when it comes to compound bows. Jezsica is coming along too she's awesome at setting the traps." I stated.

He gave me a few water bottles along with some peanut butter and crackers. I said a quiet thank you before picking up the knife and slipping off to find the girls. 

The camp has a few strict rules. Like no going outside the camp boundaries after dark, no leaving the camp alone or you have to tell someone exactly where you'll be and what you'll be doing, and you're only allowed to mess with your ammo. 

Just the basics that are common sense and they make sure that everything is fair inside the camp. Plus there's the small tidbit about the if you brake any of these rules you can possibly be kicked out of the camp. But the main people of the camp like Cameron, Jez, plus like two or three other people must vote to see if you're useful enough to keep inside the camp. 

"Hey where are you headed today?" Alistair asked me as he helped skin this mornings meat haul.

"I'm checking the traps today. Jez is resetting them while Cameron attempts to hunt." I stated.

He nodded and continued skinning his rabbit. I kissed the top of his head and went on my way. Finally I found them and headed out after my sword was safely strapped across my back. We made our way to the area where our traps are set, sadly nothing was there. Jez reset them while I searched the perimeter. I found a few zombies but they were dangling in the trees. If they were covered in glitter they could pass as human discoballs, but they aren't human...not anymore.

"So does anyone know what happened?" I asked.

"All we know is the virus came from out of the country. It happened on a plane headed for New York. Everyone but the piolets were turned and when the plane landed everything was released." Cameron spilled out what she knew. 

"It must spread quickly if it's already down here in Alabama," I said mostly to myself. "Meaning it's possibly airborn, or at least it was."

"Or maybe these things are fast." Jez finally spoke.

After that we all grew silent thinking about the virus that has caused the world to fall to pieces. It's like a stainglass window that shattered into a million tiny little fragments. Who knew a virus could cause so much pain and destruction. While the government is nice and cozy in their hideouts we're out here fighting for our lives dealing with this bullshit they fucking caused!