2 - what are cramps and how to help the pain

Period pain occurs when the muscular wall of the womb tightens (contracts). Mild contractions continually pass through your womb, but they're usually so mild that most women can't feel them.

During your period, the wall of the womb starts to contract more vigorously to encourage the womb lining to shed away as part of your monthly period.

When the muscular wall of the womb contracts, it compresses the blood vessels lining your womb. This temporarily cuts off the blood supply – and hence oxygen supply – to your womb. Without oxygen, the tissues in your womb release chemicals that trigger pain.

While your body is releasing these pain-triggering chemicals, it's also producing other chemicals called prostaglandins. These encourage the womb muscles to contract more, further increasing the level of pain.

It's not known why some women experience more period pain than others. It may be that some women have a build-up of prostaglandins, which means they experience stronger contractions.

I hate these cramps. I know people who get them and they're so severe they're physically sick and can't go to school and stuff (this has happened to me twice I think and honestly it's the worst thing to happen when you're on your period).

Now so I help myself relive my cramps by taking ibuprofen, but for a few months that hasn't gone down well due to two reasons - 1, it made me have real bad nausea and 2, the nausea made me struggle to swallow the pills.

I also get a hot water bottle and hold it against my lower belly like this

And when I'm in bed and curled up on my side, I actually button up my jeans over the hot water bottle so it doesn't move and I don't have to hear that awful sloshing sound (it makes me cringe?)

I know most people just take painkillers or do the same with hot water bottles.

You can also have a cup of herbal tea, but you may have some health risks so it's always best to go ask your doctor if you're unsure.

Or you can increase your endorphins - this is basically sexual pleasure or exercise. Having an orgasm releases endorphins which helps ease the pain, and exercise does the same thing.

And if you're like "I'm not having sex!!", Masturbation will do the same job so yeah. And if you're grossed out about the blood, just wash your hands afterwards.

Fast facts on menstrual cramps

Menstrual cramps are pains felt in the lower abdomen, occurring both before and during a woman's menstrual period.

The pain can be slight or sometimes extremely severe.

There are two types of painful periods - primary and secondary dysmenorrhea.

About 15% of women describe menstrual pain as severe.

Emotional stress tends to increase the chance of experiencing menstrual cramps.

Symptoms of menstrual cramp include cramps, nausea, vomiting, sweating, dizziness, headaches and diarrhoea.

Menstrual cramps are easily identified without the help of a physician.

Menstrual cramps can be treated with over-the-counter medicine.

Physicians agree that continuous oral contraceptive therapy to manage menstruation is safe and acceptable.

A healthy diet together with regular exercise can help prevent menstrual cramps.

(A/n

Hope this is useful, the next part will be up either later today or tomorrow!

Don't forget to vote if you liked it, and comment anything that you wanna know or find out more, or ideas for any later parts!

Xoxox Laurie)