Chapter Five

Kate tried to turn in early that night. Tomorrow was Monday and she was scheduled for one of her shifts at the doctor's office. Climbing into her bed, she grabbed a cutout from the local newspaper and gazed at it steadily. It was a story done about Cori and her kidnapping. It had several pictures of the girl alone and photos with various family members. Kate tried to let Cori seep into her brain and take over all her thoughts.

"Where are you?" she whispered to the pictures as she closed her eyes and fell asleep.

***

It felt like she was dead. No sight and no sound. She tried to draw a long breath in, but something prevented her. Some kind of revolting fabric was covering her mouth. Struggling to move, she discovered her hands and legs were bound. The more she shifted, the rawer her skin felt against the plastic bindings. Attempting a scream, the sound was muffled and barely even audible. Trying to calm down, she tried to make out any kind of recognizable noise. As she focused, she realized she was in motion.

She was a smart girl. It didn't take her long to recognize the bad guy had taken her from her house. Her head hurt and her skin felt raw and sticky. As sounds entered her ears, she understood that she was in a car and he was stealing her away from her family. Whimpering, she began to struggle again. She fought the urge to vomit as her panic brought on nausea. The smell of the car trunk was beginning to assault her nostrils as well. It reeked of body odor and spoiled food.

It seemed like forever, but honestly it could've been any time from ten minutes to an hour when the car finally stopped. She didn't know what was worse—staying in the trunk or discovering what the bad guy had in store for her when they got to where he was going.

The trunk flew open and rough arms grabbed her. She tried to fight him, but he pinned her roughly to his body from behind. She tried to take in her surroundings and look for any help, but was horrified to realize they were isolated in a garage.

"Stop moving or I'm going to kill you," his voice hissed in her ear from behind. Her body went limp and he dragged her into the house.

He led her to a door in the back of the house. When he opened it, darkness greeted them. Before she could react, he hurried down the stairs and dropped her unceremoniously onto the floor. Without a second glance backwards, he turned to leave. She couldn't move to go after him—she was still tied up. After he shut the basement door, she was encompassed in complete darkness. Hearing the lock click in place, she felt the hopelessness of her situation. He had left her in a dark basement alone to die....

***

Kate didn't want the dream to end. She wanted to stay in that horrible place with Cori to prevent the little girl from being alone. A fierce hatred rose inside of her for the monster that had done this. The frustrating thing was, he remained faceless to Kate. Cori had not been able to snatch a good look at him as he struggled with her and carried her from behind into the house. However, Cori did see one thing of great importance: his car.

Rolling over in bed, Kate was surprised to see the sun was up. Alarmed, she looked at the clock and realized she'd overslept. If she didn't hurry and get ready, she would be late for work. As she began pulling on pieces of clothing in a half-hearted effort to put on a cohesive outfit, she dialed Jared's number.

"I saw his car," she said in a breathless rush before he could even get a greeting out.

"What?" he asked with excitement. "You had another vision? She's ok? Did you see what he looked like?"