Chapter Six

Kate was tossing and turning for hours. Damn Jared and his gray eyes and easygoing smiles. Didn't he know she was starved for affection? No wonder she was crazed with lust, she couldn't even remember the last guy she kissed. Looking at the clock, she saw it was just after one in the morning. Julie rarely went to bed before two and Kate knew her best friend wouldn't mind a late night text message from Kate.

I NEED a night out pronto. When are you free? Two minutes later, Julie returned her text. I thought you were going all Salinger on my ass and had destined yourself to a hermit lifestyle. Why the sudden change of heart? Kate wasn't sure if she wanted to confide in Julie about Jared. It wasn't that she didn't trust her. It simply made her feel morally bankrupt for admitting her feelings out loud. Although Julie wasn't the type to pass judgment, Kate figured she would remain silent since the likelihood of anything happening was nil. Kate Edwards is ready to reopen for business. Even willing to take you up on the offer of a setup with one of Gage's friends...

Now, Kate knew she had lost her freaking mind. There were dumb jocks and then just below that level was Gage. Kate had met a few of his friends when she had gone over to Julie's apartment to hang out. Most of them rarely managed to have the ability to string a coherent sentence together. However, desperate times called for desperate measures. Who is this? This can't possibly be Kate.

Kate replied back quickly. Ha-ha, are we on or what? Kate picked up Cori's picture while waiting for a response. She hoped she would dream of the girl again tonight. She prayed the guy was not hurting her and had fed her. How does Wednesday sound? Some guitarist Gage knows is playing at a pub at Main Street. Probably 9 or 10ish? Kate didn't care if Julie suggested they strip down to their underwear and head to a biker bar, she was that desperate for a night out. Sounds perfect, I'll be wearing my hoochiest outfit.

Julie was gleeful. YES!!! This will be crazy fun and I have the perfect set of heels for you to borrow. Gage is here and he's psyched too. He said he knows the perfect dude for you. Call you tomorrow love!

Kate set her phone on her nightstand. Shuddering at the thought of who Gage would think is perfect for her—she knew she'd be lucky to make it out of the night without being felt up or roofied. At least Julie would be there and she could have some girl time as well. She didn't want her only friend to drift away because she was a head case with social anxiety issues. Plus, Julie had amazing shoes and they shared the same size. This would be the perfect opportunity to forget about Jared and find someone else to obsess over. She couldn't get in the way of his "happily ever after" with his equally genetically blessed girlfriend.

Once Cori was located, she could forget all about the handsome detective. She didn't really expect him to remain friends with her once the case was over. As her hazel eyes gazed at the photo of Cori again, she begged her silently to come to her for both their sakes.

***

Kate knew instantly this vision wasn't of Cori. Her surroundings were too bright. The room lacked the dingy depression of the house of horrors where Cori was being kept captive. She reached out her mind and didn't find any foreign thoughts. She was only an observer and not inside the head of whoever's memory this was. Since she made a connection with this person's mind, she guessed there was the potential to reach into their thoughts. This was a skill she had yet to figure out, though. On a positive note, these visions were the easiest for her to handle. She didn't have to share the feelings of anger, terror or sadness with the person. It allowed her to have some disconnect and pretend she was only watching a movie.

Shit, she thought, as she heard voices and focused on her surroundings. She soon comprehended she was in Jared's apartment. The clock on the oven read six o'clock and she saw Nikki and Jared sitting at the kitchen table eating. Empty Chinese food containers littered the counters and a half-empty bottle of wine was set between them. Nikki was dressed in a simple floral sundress that highlighted her radiant and tanned skin. Wearing a distressed expression, she mostly pushed the food around on her plate. Kate centered her attention on Jared and noted he wore the same white button-down he had worn to lunch today sans the tie. He looked tired and distracted. Kate was amazed that this was most likely a scene from earlier that evening.