Chapter Twenty-One

"I should really transport you to the hospital," the EMT was insisting as she examined Kate in the back of the ambulance.

The woman looked to be about ten years older than Kate. Her red hair was held back into a ponytail and her green eyes gave off a stern look. She had a pleasant figure, although the EMT uniform did nothing to enhance it. EMT Lady wasn't as soft as Kate and it made Kate wonder if the toned woman would've done better in the precarious situation Kate was just in. Maybe she needed to think about toughening up. It was extremely humiliating to know you had to be saved by an eight year old.

"Listen, I'm just going to lie here and wait for my parents. The cops said they are on their way here. Maybe just give me a valium or something in the meantime," Kate managed to croak out.

Talking was still difficult and she had no idea if her attacker had permanently damaged her voice box. She leaned back into the stretcher and closed her eyes. It was probably not even an hour later, but it felt like an eternity since she was standing over the bloody body in the kitchen. A minute or two after Cori had stabbed the guy, Kate realized Cori was in too much shock to do much of anything and running would probably be too difficult for both of them. Kate's throat ached and she was feeling light-headed. She guessed the lack of oxygen from asphyxiation might have killed a few brain cells.

It took all of her willpower not to puke buckets, but she finally gathered up the nerve to conduct a quick search of the body. In his pocket she found a cell phone. After calling 911 and figuring out the address by looking through a pile of mail on the table, the police were able to get there within minutes. The ambulance had rushed in and she was barely able to say goodbye to Cori before the girl was rushed away. The police had escorted her to a second ambulance as the EMTs worked on the stabbed man.

Eventually, he was taken out of the house on a stretcher. Kate was shocked to learn he had actually survived. It was hard to believe a knife in the back and a hammer to the head hadn't done him in. Christ, he was more tenacious than a cockroach. A part of her was relieved that Cori wouldn't have to live with the fact she killed someone. Another side of her was disappointed, since him surviving meant he could always go after them again. The idea of him spending his life in prison cooking up revenge schemes was kind of terrifying.

The police had questioned her briefly, but obviously saw she wasn't in a state for her answers to make much sense. They called her mother and told Kate to stay put until she arrived. The officers later told her that her father was also on the way. Not exactly the reunion she had been imagining. The EMT Lady tried to fuss over her again and she attempted to shoo her away by waving her hands wildly.

Physically, she actually felt things could be much worse. Besides her neck, most of her wounds seemed superficial and would probably only require a dab of Neosporin and a few ice packs. With some rest and hot tea, she imagined her voice would return as well. Mentally, she felt any minute she would fall apart and they would rush her to the nearest padded room.

"Katie!" she heard her mother call.

Kate sat up on her elbows and saw her parents running over to the ambulance. Her mother looked like she was auditioning for a part in a revival of Sophie's Choice, with her eyes pouring out tears and yelling out "my little girl!" as she made her way over. Her father took quick and measured steps while steering her mother through the street. A few of the junkies who had finally rolled out of bed now sat on their porches. They didn't even bother to glance their way. Although it was mid-morning by the time the police and ambulance arrived, the street had been deserted. She guessed seeing the cops on the street was like an everyday occurrence for the neighbors and no more exciting than watching paint dry.

First Visions: Second Sight Book OneOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara