Chapter Eight

As she glanced at her surroundings this time, Kate thought the vision was from Cori's memories. The setting was the front of an elementary school with seemingly hundreds of children rushing in every direction. Buses were lined up in front of the school and parents were holding the hands of children while walking them towards the entrance of the building. She tried to find Cori in the crowd, but couldn't locate the little girl. Instead, the vision seemed to center on a couple and a small boy standing in front of the school's marquee. Confused, Kate wondered who the people were and why she was seeing them.

The man held a camera in his hand. On a closer inspection, she realized it was a dated-looking Polaroid. He took a shot of the small boy and a photo emerged from its base. "Here, get in the picture, Rose," the man addressed the woman.

She gave a beaming smile and gathered the boy in her arms. He squirmed as the man took multiple shots of them. The woman's smile never left her face.

Rose was stunning. She had black hair that fell in natural waves almost to her waist. Her dark eyes were highlighted by long lashes and her skin was blemish free. She smiled frequently and there was something very charismatic about her. Kate noticed several fathers walk by and do a double take of the woman. Her husband didn't seem to notice and Kate wondered if he was used to the attention.

Although not as breathtaking as his wife, the husband was tall and distinguished-looking. His eyes were lighter than his wife's and his brown hair was graying slightly at the temples.

The boy shared a strong resemblance with his mother. His dark hair did not have the same curls, but he had the same facial features. His gray eyes seemed to be a blend of his parents'. He looked to be about five years old and wore jeans and a t-shirt. His outfit was completed by a Transformers backpack and matching Transformers sneakers. "No more pictures!" he complained.

"Ok, sorry Jared, we're only excited because it's your first day of kindergarten!" Rose squealed.

Jared gave her a look of disdain. "I told you, my name is not Jared, its Optimus Prime."

His father shot an amused look to Rose over Jared's head. "Well, Optimus Prime, we should be heading in now. I think the bell's going to ring any minute."

The boy's bravado wavered. He shot his mother an uncertain look. "Do I have to go, Mommy? I wanna stay home with you."

"Now, now..." his father began.

"Give me a minute to talk to him, Charles." She put a finger to her lips to shush him. Charles shrugged as Rose bent down to Jared's height. "I know this is scary for you, but you're going to love school. You'll do all sorts of fun things and meet so many new friends."

Jared didn't look convinced and frowned at her. Earnestly, Rose pressed on. "And even though you don't see me, I'll always be there with you. Whenever you get sad, just close your eyes and imagine I'm next to you holding your hand."

"Rose, you really must stop coddling the boy," Charles admonished, but the obvious affection was apparent in his voice. Rose laughed and pulled Jared in for a kiss. The trio then turned to walk towards the front of the school. The vision began to fade.

***

"No Denny's Grand Slam this morning?" Kate's mother chided, walking into the kitchen the next morning.

Kate sat at the counter munching on a granola bar. "No, not today. Figured I'd eat light to prevent looking like a complete cow in my dress tonight."