Chapter Eight: Merely Surprised

"This is a rather unusual building," Picard observed as he followed Fred down the long hallway. He'd been mildly impressed with the architecture, though some of the artistic choices were decidedly odd.

Baymax shuffled behind the small group, keeping an eye on his current patient. The girls had quickly moved his armor to its respective storage area before going to change out of their own. Hiro had left rather quickly, leaving them with the task, though Honey lemon rather thought Hiro was looking for Wasabi.

Fred laughed at the captain's comment. "If you think this is unusual, you should see the art in the gallery," he quipped. "Now that has some interesting pieces. Of course, most of the art here was collected by my mom. She has some weird tastes."

The small party of explorers exchanged looks, slowing down just a little to put some distance between themselves and their guide. Fred was too busy talking about who knew what for him to really notice, though Baymax slowed his speed to compensate.

"What do you make of all this?" Picard asked Data as he swept a hand to encompass the rather odd situation they'd found themselves in.

Data seemed to contemplate for a moment. "It would seem that we have somehow landed ourselves in a potential alternate universe," he finally announced. "From what I can tell, this is their equivalent of the planet Earth. I had the opportunity to observe the sky while we were transported here in the helicopter they provided. The constellations are consistent with twenty-first century Earth. However, as to which period, I am unable to tell."

Deanna seemed to frown at that. "Are you suggesting we somehow went back in time in an alternate reality to our own?"

The android nodded. "That is precisely what I am suggesting, Counselor."

"This will present many difficulties in returning to the Enterprise," Worf commented in his gruff manner.

Picard chewed on that thought for a moment. "It will indeed. But if there was a way here, there must be a way back."

At that moment, Fred stopped at a set of wooden doors. "This way, guys," he called out, realizing his guests were a bit behind. "This is the dining room, though we don't usually use it unless we're entertaining."

The doors opened and a tall man came out, holding one side open for the small group to go through. "Dinner is served," Heathcliff said in his rather clipped English accent, his expression as unreadable as ever.

Picard seemed rather taken aback by this sudden introduction. "You keep a manservant?"

Fred looked up from his own thoughts as he waited for the others to go through the door. He had been taught proper etiquette after all. "What? Heathcliff? Sorta. He's more like a guardian, but yeah, I guess he is a manservant. I mean, he's a butler and all that so yeah."

"I do not believe such a practice to be uncommon in our history during this period," Data said in the captain's ear, hoping to alleviate the sudden confusion in the air. The rich of any period tended to have paid servants of one kind or another.

The captain looked suitably calmed as he fixed his uniform. "Of course. I was merely surprised. You're quite right, Mr. Data."

Once inside, the Enterprise crew noticed just how large the room was. Designed to hold delegates and rather large parties, the dining room was easily larger than a single holodeck. At least a hundred people could be comfortably situated inside. Despite this observation, they noticed that only one end of the table was prepared, with enough place settings for their group and their unusual hosts., at least for those of them that could eat. Baymax didn't exactly count.