Chapter 27- Insomnia

Third Person

Tanith was having trouble remaining awake. It had been almost five days since she slept, but she wasn't going to stop now. It felt like she had to shake herself awake every five seconds just to make sure she didn't nod off.

For a while there she thought she was getting better. The flashbacks stopped coming, she felt content and just like her regular self again. Then it happened again. She heard the sound and suddenly she was back in De Vrede and watching the light fade from her eyes. The Peace that town was called, but soon it gained a new one: De Schaduw, or more commonly known as The Shadow.

She couldn't sleep. Or at least didn't want to, and for a number of reasons. There were two main ones that really got to her. One, every time she slept, nightmares kept coming and two-... Well, that was something she wanted to keep to herself. For now at least. Tanith knew how people felt about it, and just didn't want to ruin her relationships.

If you tell them, you might get a better one than before! A strengthened relationship with them! Wouldn't that be nice? A little voice in her head kept telling her that, but there was a much stronger one keeping her from saying it. But, it said, if it doesn't go well, you could lose them forever. You know how people normally react.

Tanith couldn't stop listening to the second thought. Sure, a better understanding of each other sounded like a dream, but she didn't need another nightmare in her life. In this case, she kept her mouth shut and tucked her thoughts away. No need to deal with it now. Later perhaps.

Besides her will to stay up, Tanith had coffee on her side. A drink where it kept her adrenaline up and her body awake. Though it helped a ton, Tanith was starting to wonder how long she could keep this up. The health risks she was taking were insane at this point and she felt herself falling apart. Plus, it was only a matter of time before Cody noticed. He wasn't stupid, Tanith knew that. He'd figure it out soon and then she'd be forced to stop, one way, or another.

Just thinking about all of this made her act up. Tanith didn't even realize she was fidgeting until it was many moments later. Her eyes darted around before stopping at the ball of yarn with two needles in it. She let out a sigh, making her way over to the couch. If she was going to worry, might as well do something useful with her time.

As the hybrid began to knit a red scarf, a knock alarmed her for a moment before realizing it was only the door. Tanith stared at it, then remembered she should probably open it. When she did, she was face to face with the King of Atlantis.

"Hey Tanith, do you mind if I talk to you about... Something." Her heart palpitated. Did he already know? Professor told him didn't he... "I need some advice."

Tanith quickly let out a short breath of relief and nodded, moving to the side which allowed him to walk in. "Yep, come in, come in. Take a seat on the armchair." The penguin obeyed and she chose to sit on the edge of the couch, facing towards him and slouching a tad.

"Do you mind if I continue with this?" She held up the knitting needles and received a shake of the head. "Good. Now Cody, what's on your mind?"

Cody took in a long breath before speaking. "Well, as you may have noticed, I'm not really in the best place right now. After that whole "Invasion", I... I think I'm still in shock."

"It was a surprise attack." Tanith pointed out. "And you are the king. I think you have the most right to be shocked out of all of us! I mean, I was quite surprised myself but Atlantis is your city! Your home! Getting invaded like we did had to be hard for you, knowing you couldn't stop it. But at least Atlantis is okay! It all worked out pretty well!"