The Stranger the Better

The night Peridot signed out of the hospital in the early afternoon, she rode a taxi straight to her apartment, which was just across the Brooklyn Bridge; the only detour of course was to stop by the nearest Walmart for some energy drinks, and a few boxes of ice cream sandwiches.

After fumbling with her keys for a few minutes and running up 5 flights of stairs, Peridot had finally entered what she called "home": a small, 3 room apartment. The living room was lacking furniture, only having her 32" smart tv, ps4, a beanbag chair, and a small side table. Her ps4 games (Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, Mario, Legend of Zelda, Star Wars Academy, etc.) were scattered about the dark colored carpet (honestly Peridot couldn't tell if the carpet was naturally colored a dark brown, or... something else).

Slamming the door and flipping off her sandals at the speed of sound, Peridot ran into her bedroom, quickly logging onto her alien sticker filled laptop. Before Peridot did any serious hacking, she quickly got into her hermit position, which was basically hiding under the covers, no lights on, surrounded by an ice cream sandwich or 5, with energy drinks at the ready.

*spongebob narrator voice* 6 ice cream sandwiches and 4 energy drinks later

"Ehehehehe, hacked into your files, you clods!" Peridot laughed triumphantly a hour later, squinting her eyes and pursing her lips as she scrolled through the patients that checked out of the hospital today, and the day she stayed. Her dark hazel eyes quickly scanned for anybody with blue hair, or preferably with any 'head injuries' or 'injuries from explosion'.

After half an hour of searching, Peridot finally found her target."Hmmmmm..." Peridot leaned in closer as she scanned Lapis Lazuli's file. Half way through her 5th energy drink, Peridot spit it out as she read towards the bottom of Lazuli's file." What?! She's a student? At my college?!" Peridot squeaked, crushing the bottle in her hand.

At last, the bone picking at the back of Peridot's brain did not ease, even though she found out who her 'cinderella' was. Peridot gulped, and slowly lied down in her bed, her dark green covers muffling her sigh. Was she relieved or maybe even... frightened? Or would nervous be the correct term to use in this situation? The situation where Peridot's heart beat seemed to speed up, and she felt goosebumps form among her pale arms.

" Well, maybe I should just thank her..." Peridot mumbled, her eyes closed.

"Aha!" She bolted up, almost like a light bulb just flashed above her head. " Merely saying 'thank you' will be enough to clear my conscious of this whole affair; and then, I can focus on my studies," Peridot nodded curtly, satisfied with her solution to her problem. Her tone was full of confidence, but on the inside, there was that bone picking her brain again.

--------------- the next day, around 9 pm

"Art room art room on the 5th floor on the 5th floor..." Peridot mumbled quickly over and over. She impatiently tapped her foot against the floor, her arms crossed. A drop of sweat formed as she thought about approaching her savior, or this Lapis Lazuli.

Finally, she had arrived. Peridot quickly found the art room, and she peeked through the window. She felt her pale cheeks blush as she saw Lapis sitting at a canvas, dressed in a baggy black sweater, which revealed her shoulders, part of her stomach and black bra straps, with black leggings and black combat boots.

Peridot felt her face turn red, and she gulped. After many minutes of pacing, and slapping herself across the face, she finally mustered up the courage.

Closing her eyes tightly, Peridot gripped the handle and thrust the door open. What Peridot was greeted by she did not expect. She assumed soothing classical music would be playing, graceful and beautiful as Lapis. But instead, she was hit by loud, booming screamo music.

Peridot stood like a pole, her eyes wide. Lapis Lazuli casually turned to face Peridot, who looked like a jr high man in her laser eyed cat space tshirt, with loose dark purple booty shorts, with black leggings covering her stubby legs, and the final touch was her untied alien high tops.

The hard core music kept playing as Lapis stared at Peridot with her usual 'I don't give a sh*t' look. She remembered this [cute] girl, but she hadn't thought much of their short time together. Lapis was scared of making new connections. "What do you want?!" Lapis screamed above her music, not caring to turn it down; she simply found nothing wrong with it.

Peridot clench her fists and slight raised her head, blushing. "Thank you!" Peridot shouted back.

" Yeah! Now if you don't mind-" Lapis began to shout, but was interrupted by Peridot.

"Do you want to go out for coffee..."

Lapis lifted an eyebrow in confusion, "Whaaat?!" She called, Peridot's voice grew muffled at the end.

Taking in a deep breath, Peridot shouted " DO YOU WANT TO GO OUT FOR COFFEE????!!!!!!"

It was Lapis's turn to blush. She hunched her shoulders, dropping her paint palette and brush. Nobody had asked her on a date since...

Before Peridot could be denied, she added "4 PM WILL WORK TOMORROW AT STARBUCKS FOR ME THANK YOU!!!!"

Peridot quickly ran out of the room, leaving a confused, emotional Lapis in her room of paint scented air and screamo music.