VII

"KEITH!" A shout came from the hall, he scrambled from the bed as he was ripped from his peaceful slumber. He struggled to wrap a blanket around his middle as he ran out to the hotel hallway. Shiro was standing outside; his face paler than ever.

    "What's wrong?" Keith immediately asked, stepping into the hallway with him.

    "They're letting them out." He whispered.

    "Letting who out? Out of where?" He had literally just woken up, kid.

    "Him."  He whispered. Immediately it hit Keith like a ton of bricks. The man who hurt Shiro. The one who completely fucked him over.

    "O-Oh," Keith murmured. "Well, that's okay. He can't come near you. He can't come near any of us."

    "He lives here though." Shiro whispered. "What if he comes to the show?"

    "He won't." Keith attempted to assure. "And if he does there's no chance he'll get near you. I'll double security tonight and until we get to Cincinnati. Okay?"

    Hesitantly he nodded, Keith pulled him down for a hug. He choked on his breath and broke down against his shoulder. Lance came out of the bedroom in his boxers and peered at the two before hesitantly going around and hugging onto Shiro. Keith looked up and smiled, he pecked his nose then.

    "You alright buddy?" Lance whispered, looking up to Shiro. He nodded quietly and slowly pulled from the hug, rubbing his eyes.

    Keith's entire face was red from just the simple peck on the nose, this kid-- a fucking wreck to put it simple.             

    Shiro nodded silently and quickly wiped the tears off his face. Keith took a deep breath and patted his back gently.

    "If you need me you know where to find me." Keith murmured softly before going back in the bedroom, not without tripping over his boots and dropping the blanket. Lance and Shiro were immediately howling in laughter as Lance moved to go help him up. Shiro stopped laughing as he thought about it; Keith was naked. Keith didn't sleep naked-- heck, he didn't even sleep in just his boxers. And Lance, he was in his boxers. Lance slept in pants usually.

    "Are you guys fucking?" Shiro straight out asked.

    Lance, whom had Keith in his arms, dropped the other and looked up to the bassist.

"How did you know?" He sputtered as Keith glared at him from the floor.

"I have eyes Lance." He laughed and closed the door before leaving them alone.

Keith sighed and pulled himself up from the floor. "Was dropping me necessary?" He moved to his bed and pulled his suitcase onto it to pull out a clean outfit. They didn't have anything important today, right? Right. Jeans and a t-shirt from his old high school band would do for today.

    "Who's 'The Knives'?"

    "My band from when I was in school." Keith said as he watched Lance get dressed. Jesus fucking... How could someone be so handsome with and without clothes on? He watched him pull his jeans on slowly. It wasn't even all that slow-- it just felt like it was in slow motion.

    "You guys any good?" Lance smiled over his shoulder to the manager.

    "Not really. Only had one album, and it was more of an EP than anything."

    "It online anywhere?" He smirked, sitting down on the edge of the bed with his shirt in hand.

    "Doubtful." He sighed. "I might have a copy of it at home though."

    "Right, you grew up here, didn't you?"

    Keith nodded and went to say something when Lance asked a question.

    "Should I dress nicely or casually?" He looked up to him then.

    "Do whatever will make you more comfortable." Keith moved to kiss his temple on his way to the restroom.

    Fuck. Fuck, fuck, fuck. He forgot about the stupid date thing. Why was this upsetting him? It was just a dumb publicity stunt, right? God. He hated himself right now. Why did he approve this? He knew he had feelings for Lance long before they... Well, he also never thought they would do anything like that. He never imagined being lucky enough to be with Lance fucking McClain. Yeah, he's famous but that wasn't why it was shocking. Keith was famous too. It was shocking because Lance could have any man or woman he wanted. Maybe that was just it, maybe Lance only wanted him for that one night. God he hoped not. Keith didn't just want him for sex, no. He wanted a relationship. He had earnest feelings for this kid. He wanted to take him on dates and introduce him to his dad and-- and all the stupid gushy stuff! Why was he having a panic attack over this? Shaking hands gripped the bathroom counter, his nails harshly pressed against the laminate countertop. Tears ran down his face as he did his best to keep his breathing quiet so Lance wouldn't hear.

    "Keith?"

    Fuck. Did he hear?

    "You alright in there? Can I come in?" He asked, putting his hand on the doorknob.

    "Do you like me?" He asked quietly, fear filled eyes staring at the still-closed door.

    "Of course I do--"

    "No, I mean--" He stopped when Lance opened the bathroom door.

    "You're crying." He whispered as he moved to un-pry Keith's hands from the countertop. "Why?" He laced his fingers with the other man's and looked him in the eye.

    "I get anxious sometimes and it just happens..." He murmured and avoided eye contact with the other until he was suddenly pulled into a hug. Thin arms slowly returned the other's embrace, he let himself fall apart then. He pushed his face deep into Lance's shoulder and just sobbed. He choked on air and struggled to form words, which were just soft apologies. Lance gently rubbed his back and assured him it was okay. That he was okay. Once he had stopped crying enough that Lance could speak softly and still be fully heard he did just that.

    He pushed Keith's hair away from his face and tucked it behind his ear with a soft smile. "This date with a fan? It means nothing. Not a single thing. And last night? That meant the world to me. As soon as we get somewhere I actually know a little and we have time-- I'm gonna take you on a date. The best date you've ever been on. Okay?"

    "Okay." His voice was hoarse, eyes red and wet still. Lance leaned to press a kiss to his cheek and hugged him tighter.

    It was a moment of silence before Lance held him even tighter, something felt different this time. Like Lance needed the reassurance now. Keith returned the increasing tightness. "You and Shiro are going to be there, right?"

"Of course."