t w o

Hermione quickly excused herself from the breakfast she hardly touched to head to first period Advanced Transfigurations fifteen minutes early as she always does, but also because for some reason she felt that she shouldn't open the mysterious letter in front of anyone but her.

Once safe and inside the seemingly empty classroom, she slowly ripped the letter open and was momentarily confused when she saw nothing inside. Not stopping there, she set it down her desk and waved her wand over it to see if it really was empty, because if this was really her who sent it and whatever she sent was important, she would know to conceal it in case it got intercepted. A small rectangular shape formed on the letter and Hermione shook it out, revealing a photograph. Well, half of it, anyway.

The photo was torn in half and the piece she's holding is of her smiling towards the missing half.

"Granger, will you stop your incessant hyperventilating? You're not the only one in the room."

Hermione felt chills run down her spine once she recognized who the voice belonged to. Of course, he just had to be here with her at the very moment. Why hasn't she noticed that there was already someone in the room? Or that he comes in their classes as early as she does, maybe even earlier if today was any indication of habit?

Constant vigilance, my arse.

She didn't dare turn around and risk seeing his face so instead, she tucked in the mysterious piece of paper in her ratty old copy of Hogwarts: A History and calmed her breathing by counting to 10. Then, the influx of students came pouring into the classroom as well as Headmistress McGonagall to start the lesson.

"Now, who can refresh all of our memories on what we've discussed last week?"

----

Hermione decided to skip lunch and head straight to the library with her Hogwarts: A History book clutched tightly to her chest.

Hermione's favorite spot in the library, in the entire castle really, is a little alcove at the far back, two aisles away from the Restricted Section and to the left of Barnabus the Barmy's bust. She's found solace in here since her first year when she toured the library for the first time while gawking the entire afternoon. The hiding space showed itself to her that day and she has since never let go.

The table for one creaked in protest as Hermione not-so-gently leaned into it to press her face on the cool wood in hopes to soothe the raging headache she's been nursing since she saw what was in the letter. The letter apparently sent by herself to herself. The letter containing a photograph of her and a mysterious someone acting like lovers.

Pulling out the photograph, she examined it further. It was then she noticed that the photo wasn't moving so it wasn't magical; in fact, she noted that it was printed on one of those Muggle Polaroid films. She knew this because she had a Polaroid camera with the same sheets of photographic paper back home. The background of the photo wasn't seen much as she filled up most of the frame but Hermione could see the faint yellows and oranges along the edges that suggest the time it was taken was around autumn. There was something not quite on with her face too, like it was her but not really her. She turned the photo over and immediately saw that it has 2005 written on the bottom right corner. Her brows furrowed together as she thought over what that could mean and then her eyes widened at the realization.

That can't be right, then that'd be 5 years from now! I don't even have the Time-Turner anymore!

She put the photo back into the pages of her book and almost made it out of her alcove before going back and getting the book as she goes hunting for books about time-travelling, easy cures for headaches and reasons why horrible things keep happening to her.