t w e n t y - e i g h t

The ball started with a dance between the Head Boy and Head Girl, namely Anthony Goldstein and Hermione Granger. In between their classes, Anthony had dragged Hermione off to practice waltz. Quite adamantly, if Hermione had anything to say about it, for Anthony claimed that she's as good a dancer as she was on the broom. Anthony let her jinx him in exchange for agreeing to be taught how to dance like a proper lady. He proudly sported purple troll hair for that entire day.

Grueling and painful the dreaded dancing lessons may have been, she could not deny that it was a success.

"Almost makes the countless times you've stepped on my toes worth it." He teased. Hermione shook her head in mirth.

"I still can't believe I sent you to the hospital wing that one time." She could tell you the exact moment Anthony's face fell in recollection of that particularly horrible lesson and it was all that took for Hermione to start laughing outright.

Soon after, pair after pair started spilling onto the dance floor. The waltz quickly turned into a series of jumbled movements that she was sure wouldn't even be considered dancing (but was too weird to be anything else) as the band changed songs. The two bowed rather exaggeratedly before they parted and headed back to their respective tables.

Seamus was the only one left when Hermione got to hers. "Where's your lover?"

"Went and asked Susan Bones to dance. He heard she didn't have a date." He explained, pointing towards the middle of the room.

"Dean does know I'm date-less too, right?" She chuckled.

"Honey, everyone knows you're lonely." A voice behind her suddenly said. She didn't even need to turn around to know who it was.

"Speak of the devil and he shall appear." She winked at Seamus as Dean took his seat beside him. "And I'll have you know that I, in fact, am not lonely. You all bother me enough as it is."

Hermione felt a tap on her shoulder. Turning her head, she saw Harry with his hand extended towards her.

"May I have this dance?"

"Always, Harry." She smiled as she stood up to follow him to the dance floor.

"I just want to say sorry, 'Mione." He whispered, careful not to be heard by the other people surrounding them. "I wanted to be there for you, but you know how Ron gets. I needed to make sure he didn't do anything."

Hermione nodded. "I understand. Look, I'm not going to lie that it didn't hurt because it did, but honestly, I'm glad things didn't work out between the two of us."

"I do love you – you're one of my best friends. It's not the same without you there with us." He twirled her around and she came back smiling.

"I sure hope not. I didn't spend all that time with you boys just to be forgotten so easily." She joked.

The song ended and the two made their way to where Ginny and Ron were dancing with the Patil twins. Padma didn't come back for their eighth year and Hermione found herself glad that Parvati could spend some time with her sister tonight. It seems that this ball served as a mini-reunion as well.

Ron was staring daggers at her and Hermione decided she's had enough.

"Fine, let's talk."

----

They went out of the Great Hall and Hermione chose to go down the path to the Black Lake.

"I know it's hard for you to believe, Ron, but the Slytherins haven't done anything." She started.

"That doesn't mean they're not planning! They're-"

"Do not say evil. Do not say it because it's not true."

"Well, what do you want me to say? Hmm? That they're full of sunshine and puffpinks?" He waved his hands around wildly. "They called you a mudblood for years!"

She walked towards the big rock she and Theo had sat on two weeks ago. "And yet I haven't heard any of them mention blood for as long as the school year started."

Ron looked at her with a hard gaze and a set jaw. "You've changed."

"Funny, right? Who knew that wars could have this effect on people?" Sarcasm was dripping with her every word, fuelling Ron's anger even more.

"You see, I don't think this is the war talking. You're just pissed because I chose Lav over you."

Hermione's head couldn't have snapped back to Ron faster. "Excuse me?"

"This is your revenge, isn't it? Think I'd come crawling back to you once I get wind that you're slagging yourself off to my enemies?"

Pulling out her wand, she threw Ron against the rock, then jabbed it at his throat in a second.

"You disgust me." He spat, reaching for his own wand to get him out of Hermione's vice-grip hold. She momentarily forgot that he was an Auror in training.

And before she knew it, she was alone.

-----------------------------

A/N:

Fairly long chapter for a change woo. So sorry for those who were expecting more Dramione scenes in this one (sincerest apologies, @N_A_M_J_O_O_H_Y_U_K <3) I originally planned it to be but I thought it better to get all the drama underway first before the romance could start blooming.

Dedicated to @TLotiel for consistently voting on all 27 chapters of this story! Don't forget to leave your thoughts in the comments as well though, feedback is welcome 24/7 xx Much love to you guys!!