t h i r t y - s i x

They stepped out of the Room of Requirement and into the seventh floor hallway. It had always been deserted since before the war aside from the few classes that it held, but she felt that with the beginning of the school year, somehow it became even more desolate.

The winds howled at them from the big stained windows that adorn the left and right ends of the wing even though they were all firmly shut. Hermione automatically rubbed up and down on her shoulders for warmth. She transfigured her coat and boots to a more summer attire once she came into their very own beachy bubble away from the cold reality, and both of them forgot to change their clothes back.

After successfully replacing the thin cotton fabrics of their clothing to a more appropriate for the weather wool, Hermione gave out a tiny laugh. "What I'd give to have summer come again sooner."

"We can always go back once we finish eating." He suggested. She smiled.

"Sounds like a plan." Moving to the side, she extended her arm in a lead-the-way motion. "Ladies' first."

"Between you and me, it's not shocking that even you think I am more of a lady than you'll ever hope to be." He strode past her with his chin up high, his back strictly rigid and steps so light that a cat would be envious of the way he walked. Her smile turned to a sour frown.

Once a git, always a git.

Lunch had just finished and there were hardly any students left loitering about the hall so at least some food was still on the table. Snow was expected to come in a couple of days, forcing everyone to stay indoors just in case. Hermione almost laughed aloud when the minute she and Draco walked on through the Great Hall doors together, the lively chattering came to an immediate halt. All eyes were suddenly on them and for a moment, Hermione froze at the attention they've gathered from students and teachers alike, but the moment ended as quickly as it started, for she took a leaf out of Draco's book and strutted to the middle of the room with a confidence that rivaled his.

She gingerly sat down... at the Slytherin side of the room. Gasps echoed around the hall as well as the beginning of rapid whispering. Hermione smirked at an amused-looking Draco.

Shaking his head in mirth, he took a seat across her. "You're trouble."

She snorted. "Hello kettle, this is pot."

Neither cared that their conversation was being eavesdropped on by everyone who was present with them nor what they thought of their unlikely friendship. What Hermione did care about though was the effect of what had transpired will do to the status quo. Ever the optimist, she was hoping that by setting an example, more people would be encouraged to promote house unity, starting with sitting at different House tables. It was a long shot, but she supposed she had enough influence, being a war hero and all.

They talked about the importance of a healthy breakfast (because she was quick to admonish him for skipping out on meals), debated whether or not marmalade was invented by Muggles, and somehow, it turned to Hermione asking Draco if he was coming to their Yule Ball a week from now. Excitement has been running high since the headmistress announced it – except for Malfoy it seemed. Apart from the Quidditch match, he stayed consistent in his passive, blend-with-the-wall nature.

"Don't you worry your pretty little head, Granger. Drakey will be there." A voice abruptly replied. Cocking her head to the side, she saw Blaise Zabini throwing a lazy arm around Draco's shoulders. She watched him place his Quidditch Through The Ages book on the table before sitting down with them and grabbing a piece of stale toast off Draco's plate. Nonchalantly, he placed his elbows on the table, not even bothered by the fact that Hermione Granger was sitting with the snakes. "What'd I miss?"

Smiling broadly at Zabini, she shook her head. "Nothing interesting, afraid to say."

They didn't get to go back to their Room after that, but the next day breakfast, Hermione sat beside them again and Draco tried the Patronus charm once more.

-----------------------------

A/N:

I HAVE RISEN FROM THE DEAD. I am so terribly sorry for the lateness of this update. I completely forgot that I had Supanova over the weekend and being a volunteer for it from Friday to Sunday, I just didn't have the time to sit down and post (I barely had enough time to sleep tbh) For those who don't know what Supanova is, it is a Comic-Con and Gaming Expo that was recently held here in Melbourne. Got to meet a lot of cool people and geek out about HP so all the muscle pain and exhaustion was worth it.

This is it! Last flashback guys. I won't say how many more chapters there are left but I can tell you that it's definitely not a lot hahaha. Thank you so much to everyone who is still reading this and voting consistently for every chapter! Much love, lovelies xx