t w e n t y - n i n e

Or so she thought.

"I didn't think it'd be possible for Weasley to knock off some of his last few brain cells, but by Salazar, he's done it."

Hermione would know whose pompous voice that belonged to anywhere. With her back still turned from him, she quickly swiped her frozen fingers across her tear-stained cheeks. Too bad she got caught in the act.

"Don't tell me you're actually crying over that witless wonder?" Draco Malfoy asked in disbelief.

For some reason, that only made the tears fall faster than she could wipe them away. After she's spent a couple of moments trying to control her breathing, she spoke with as much dignity she could muster – which apparently, wasn't a lot, if her voice breaking halfway was any indication. "Leave me alone, Malfoy."

"So you can bother me with your exasperating presence all you want but I'm not allowed to return the favor? What happened to equality?"

Very much against her will, her features contorted and broke out into a small smile. She felt a twinge of embarrassment even though her face was still hidden behind her palms because she just knew that Malfoy, who she felt walk around the rock to stand in front of her, knew he cracked through her.

She gave up. After she's dabbed around her still-moist eyes, she crossed her arms over her chest and muttered a heating charm over the both of them.

"How do you do that so easily?" The dazedness in his voice jolted her.

"Do what so easily?"

He paused, as if in deep thought on whether or not he should continue. Then he did. "Magic."

For the third time that night, she was stunned into silence.

Hermione climbed up higher on the rock, not caring anymore about the damage it was causing to the delicate fabrics of her dress, and hugged her knees as close to her as possible. Her eyes were threatening to spill again but she swallowed and swallowed until she didn't feel like crying anymore. And she didn't. Especially not in front of Malfoy. The times may have changed, but the taste of the memories stayed the same.

"You already know the answer to that." She replied. Malfoy nodded back.

"It seems as though you owe me a thank you then."

Mulling over what he said, she let out a low chuckle. "I guess I do, don't I?"

"Had I known tormenting you would cause your grades to spike higher than mine, I wouldn't have gone through with it."

"As if." She scoffed. "You liked riling me up too much."

Malfoy smirked. "You're right. It was worth it."

It wasn't like she hasn't seen much of him for the past two weeks, quite the opposite actually, but it was only tonight that she really took in his appearance, and she immediately noticed the difference between then and now.

His hollowed cheeks have filled out somewhat, putting color into his usually pallid face as she recalled Ginny telling her Malfoy's been seen eating at the hall more frequently than Hermione was lately. His hair that used to be gelled back and slicked to perfection every day had been let loose and free, even now as he was dressed in the most impeccable dress robes she's ever laid eyes on. His willowy build had more definition to it, which she could tell by the arm muscles peeking out of his robes from time to time when the wind blows through it a certain way. She suspected this added leanness to him was due to him being allowed to play Quidditch again. She suspected these changes were due to him slowly but surely moving on – from his past self, from his prejudices, from the war.

The snow kept falling around them, but thanks to Hermione's heating charm, it barely bothered her, though it did bring her back to the reality where she needed to return to the ball. She wished she could just ditch because, as history has repeated, Ron ruined it all again, but she couldn't. This ball wasn't about her or her failure of a friendship with Ron. This was much bigger than that.

"You coming?" She asked as she jumped off.

Malfoy was still leaning against the rock with his hands in his pockets and looking straight ahead at the inky Black Lake. A minute or two had passed and Hermione thought he didn't hear her so as she opened her mouth to repeat what she said, he suddenly cut her off. "Wait, I have to show you something."

She nodded and stayed put where she was already standing. Malfoy took out his wand and turned to face her, his eyes firmly shut.

"Expecto Patronum."

Hermione felt like crying again, and this time purely out of happiness, at the sight of the majestic dragon that came alive as it seeped out from Malfoy's wand. "You did it."

-----------------------------

A/N:

Here it issss! Dedicated to @N_A_M_J_O_O_H_Y_U_K as this is the Dramione chapter she's been waiting for x Don't forget to vote if you like any of the chapters and please leave your thoughts in the comment section! Much love, lovelies xx