Part 7.

Lyrie found herself stowed away in a small cabin on Verk's Mistress along with piles of horse tack that reeked of dried sweat, leather, and manure. The smell hadn't deterred Lord Klaye from taking her the moment they set sail, however. He'd caught her off guard; just minutes after Everild locked her in the cabin, Lord Klaye barged in, ripped away the trousers she was wearing and took her with animal-like fury. She tried moaning to please him, but he didn't seem to notice, and when he was finished, he left without a word.

It was her second encounter with him. The first had been in a tent back at the camp outside Gaulang where he had been more gentle, slowly undressing her from her gown and running his fingers over her body before turning her onto her side and entering her with tender precision. She'd enjoyed the moment, had a glimmer of hope that her initial fears about being dragged along to war were un-founded, but in this second encounter he seemed an entirely different man. The intensity in his eyes was different; it was as if he hadn't even seen her, though his eyes were on her face the whole time.

When Verk's Mistress left the safety of the harbor, the ship keeled to its port side to catch the wind and the rocking began. Lyrie learned quickly that she was prone to seasickness. By the time Everild checked on her a few hours after embarking, she had vomited, and despite her best efforts to keep the disgorgement isolated to one corner of the cabin, she was covered in the filth. Everild left her with a curse and returned some time later with a rag dampened with seawater.

"Clean yourself up. You don't want Lord Klaye to find you like this."

"I need some air," she said. "Please, can I go on deck?"

"You can go on deck when we arrive in North Port. Now keep quiet and clean yourself up or I'll be forced to do it, and I'll be none too gentle."

Lyrie yanked the rag from his grasp and said nothingmore. He stared as she sat squatting in the corner in the boy's clothes he hadmade her wear. She returned his stare and was about to ask him if he meant tohave a go at her too, but he abruptly turned away and left her once againlocked in the cabin.