Part 16.

Terryll stood at the stern castle, looking down at the Earl's men on the main deck, while his own crew steered Black Zefferus towards the mouth of the River Ordan.

"Welcome aboard Black Zefferus. I am Captain Payce. As long as you're all onboard, I am in command. If you disobey orders or get in the way, you'll be pushed overboard or find a curtelaxe in your throat." Terryll grinned and brandished his own curtelaxe to illustrate, much to the amusement of the soldiers. "As long as the wind holds, my crew can handle the ship on their own. When the wind dies you all become oarsmen and will be required on deck, but until then, stay out of the way. Stay below deck in the cargo hold. On deck you're in my crew's way and like to get knocked overboard by a swinging yardarm. You can come on deck at night when we're anchored or when you need to relieve yourself. There's no head, just a railing to piss over. When you need to make shit, hang your arse over the rail, and do so abreast of the main mast, or again, you're like to get knocked overboard by a yardarm. If you can't find me, Alwyn is my first mate and second in command. Are there any questions?"

None of them said a word.

"Below deck then, men. It's good to have you aboard."

The Earl's men were a hard lot—all solid veterans in battle—so Terryll didn't expect to have any trouble from them. Alwyn climbed up to the stern castle to join Terryll once they had all dutifully gone below deck. "That little lord with the boy is a bardache," Alwyn said with a grin.

"What lord? The Earl?"

"No, the one that was hiding in the back, behind all the soldiers. Methinks he didn't want to be seen by you."

Terryll frowned. He'd been intent on getting the ship out of port and into the river, and paid little attention to whom the Earl brought onboard. He hadn't even noticed this other nobleman.

"He had a boy with him, you say?" Terryll asked.

"Aye, and he's a bit too familiar with the boy, squeezing his arse when he thinks no one is looking and rubbing his man bits against him."

Terryll frowned. "Stay away from him."

"You're not afraid of a little bardache, are you, Cap'n?"

"I'm not afraid of anything, mate, but I am wary.That's the Earl's man, and I don't want any trouble with the Earl."