Part 28.

Lyrie gripped the dagger close to her waist, tucked in the folds of her gown, and waited. Everild walked out of the tent after a long moment and stared at her, his face blank.

"You killed him."

"He deserved it...for what he did to me, and for betraying the Earl."

"You killed him," he repeated.

"What does it matter to you?" Lyrie asked. "He was as mean to you as anyone else."

"I swore to protect him. I gave my oath to his father that I would keep him alive and see him on the seat at Gaulang."

"Oaths? What of the oath you gave to Lord Verk? Oaths seem to mean little enough to everyone these days."

Everild narrowed his eyes and looked at her as if he was seeing her there for the first time. "What did you just say to me? Did you lecture me, whore?"

He was on her so fast she never saw it coming. He backhanded her across the face, and she lurched sideways and fell to her knees, the side of her face hot and pulsating with pain. Before she could stand up, he was at her again. He grabbed her hair and yanked her head up.

"Don't presume to speak to me in that tone ever again, slattern."

He raised his hand to smack her again. She screamed and thrust the dagger up into his belly. The blade hit metal with a sickening grinding noise and twisted from her grip. She'd forgotten about his chainmail. He stepped backward, momentarily stunned, and stared at the dagger lying on the ground. She turned to run, but he caught her by the hair again in two strides and threw her to the ground. She spun onto her back kicking. He flung her legs aside and backhanded her across the face again. A tooth fluttered out of her mouth; blood gushed from her nose and split lips. She scratched at his arms, but he was too strong. He forced her arms up above her head with one hand and ripped the front of her gown open with his other.

"Is this what you want, whore? Is it!"

He smacked her again and forced her legs apart. Shedrove her knees into his sides, she scratched at his hand holding her arms up,she bit at his arms, she spat blood at his face and screamed, but he seemed tofeel none of it.