Part 17.

Black Zefferus entered the River Ordan on the incoming tide, and with the strong offshore wind they sailed nearly two leagues inland in the first hour. They lost the help of the tide thereafter, though, and the wind lessened, slowing them to under two knots over the ground by Terryll's reckoning. The wind held steady, at least, and the river was wide, so most of the crew sat idly by while the helmsman did most of the work. Terryll kept one man in the crow's nest to lookout for fallen trees or anything else large coming downriver, and another man at the prow looking through a polished stone of yellow quartz to cut the glare off the water and spot submerged boulders.

Several hours into the voyage, the Earl's squire came out onto deck to summon Terryll below. Black Zefferus had only two cabins, one belonging to Terryll and the other to the first mate, but on this voyage Alwyn had given up his cabin to the Earl. Even located beneath the stern castle—the tallest part of the ship—both cabins were small, and when Terryll entered the first mate's cabin where the Earl and Basilides awaited him, there was barely enough room for the three of them at once.

"My lord," Terryll greeted the Earl. "It's mighty cramped in here. You are free to join me on deck if you prefer."

"No, we'll talk here in private."

Terryll didn't like the edge in the Earl's voice. "Is there trouble, my lord?"

"Nothing serious, but something you should be aware of."

"Aye?"

"This vassal of mine—Lord Klaye—we believe he has a girl with him onboard."

Terryll's jaw muscles tightened at the mention of Lord Klaye's name. He recognized it from the Minx's Den. "A girl?"

"She's dressed as a boy, and he claims her to be his nephew, but the leech is certain she's a girl." The Earl nodded for Basilides to speak.

"I watched her very closely before we boarded, Captain," Basilides explained. "It is evident in the way she walks, her eyebrows are too thin, even for a young effeminate boy, and the clothes she wears are purposely large, a guise to conceal her femininity, I'm certain."

"A whore, no doubt," the Earl said. "I can't imagine what sort of noblemen he must be if he need sneak a whore around with him while at war. Unfortunately, we're somewhat at his mercy. The man is my guide once we disembark."

"What is it you mean to do, my lord?"

"Nothing for now. If Klaye wants to keep up his charade and hide her while we're onboard, all the better. You just make sure you keep your men clear of him. And her. Sailors are known for taking certain liberties with women, and I'll not have her raped, even if she is a whore. When my men and I disembark, I will try to convince him to leave her with you onboard—I don't need the hindrance of dragging around a whore—but I'll expect you to vouch for her safety at least back to North Port."

"My men don't rape women, my lord. You have my word that she will be safe in my care. She'll be much safer than he."

"Very good then, Captain. That is all."

Terryll bowed and exited .

***

"I believe I offended the good captain by suggesting his men were rapists," the Earl said.

"I'm not so sure," Basilides remarked. "He grew wary before you said anything of rape, from the moment you mentioned Lord Klaye...and the girl."

"The captain is a wary man and loyal to me, which is all the better for him considering his line of work, and it's more than I can say for Lord Klaye—that man is a nuisance." The Earl sighed and lowered himself onto the slender bunk. "I will rest now. Leave me."