Chapter One - Routine

Swinging my legs back and forward on my chair, I waited for the last bell of the day to ring

Swinging my legs back and forward on my chair, I waited for the last bell of the day to ring. My chemistry teacher continued to spew out information, resembling the sound of a broken record player. Tuning her out I drummed my fingers anxiously on my notebook, staring up at the clock behind her head. The bell finally rung, making the last minute feel like an eternity of waiting. Picking up my heavy chemistry textbook along with my notebook, I made my way to my locker. I stuck to the sides of the hallways, dodging the anxious students who couldn't escape this prison fast enough.

Upon reaching my locker I did my combination I've had for the past couple of months since my senior year started. Grabbing out the required books and textbooks needed to complete tonight's round of homework, I zipped up my bad that seemed like it would burst at the seams if I tried to stuff anything more into it. I hummed to myself quietly, despite the chaos of stampede of students in the background, running for their busses or cars. I slid my arms into my thick grey jacket before closing my locker and swinging my bag over my shoulders. Leaving the warmth of the building, I ventured out into the cold; keeping my head down as I made my way through the crowd.

I fiddled with putting my earphones in before selecting a random song. Cars zoomed by as I walked along the pathway, no one was stupid enough to walk in this cold like me. In my fair reasoning, it was a ten-minute walk between my house and school, besides I liked the cold weather and the walk; it gave me a chance to think. Humming to the tune of my song I waited patiently for signal that I could cross the street safely.

Right as the song was about to come to my favourite part, the loud roar of an engine drowned out the sweet words of the chorus. I glanced at the shiny sports car, revving impatiently at the red light. I'd seen this car in one of the front car parks of my school, though I don't remember who is belonged to; obviously someone important as they were in the "popular" car strip. I let out a sigh as I was given the signal to cross and dropped my eyes from the expensive looking car, when I passed in front of it I got the feeling I was being watched but couldn't be sure due to the dark tinted windows. The feeling was enough to make me double my pace to cross the road.

Letting out a sigh of relief I hurried to walk through the small park separating my building and the road. The lobby was warm and I slowly felt my body defrosting as I pressed the button for the lift. I pulled my key out when the doors opened to reveal the eighth floor and made my way to the end of the hall where my dark oak front door greeted me. The minute I opened the door I was greeted by my little cat, rubbing against my legs and twisting her way between them.

"I know Winnie, I know." I said gently while shrugging off my coat and hanging it in the coat closet to my left. 

She gave a quiet meow as she followed me into the kitchen where I dropped my heavy bag. Heading to the pantry I pulled out the half empty bag of cat food and made my way over to her empty bowl. She was there in a flash, eating her food happily before I had even finished filling the bowl. 

I sat down on one of the kitchen bench chairs and fought with my boots to come off my feet. When my foot came free I let out a sigh of happiness and left them beside my school bag while making my way to turn on the tv. Selecting Netflix, I sat there on my black leather sofa, scrolling through the endless amounts of shows, unsure on what I felt like watching. Finally settling on watching an episode of Suits. Three episodes later I turned the TV off and saw that the time was now 5:30pm.

Stretching my hands above my head I walked to my bedroom and straight into my ensuite. I turned on the hot water and heater before I began to shed my layers of clothing. The hot water stung slightly and I let out a slight hiss as my body became accustomed to the scorching heat. I completed my usual routine with my vanilla shampoo and conditioner and raspberry body wash. After standing under the water for a few more minutes than necessary, I finally turned the water off and wrapped my large, white, fluffy towel around small body. I threw on my usual pajama shorts and shirt, before messily running the towel through my blonde hair and twisted it to sit on top of my head.

Winnie followed me to the kitchen, hoping to be fed for the third time today. I swung open the freezer, examining the few frozen dinners I had stocked up before pulling out the lasagna. I unwrapped it and placed it in the microwave for the designated time on the box and decided to pull my homework of the night out of my bag. I decided on starting with AP chemistry homework first and then figured I'd move onto AP Trigonometry then AP English before finishing the night up with Art. I'd only gotten three questions done before my lasagna was ready, placing it onto a plate I grabbed a glass of milk and sat down at my homework again. I continued to work my way through my chemistry homework, only stopping when I had finished my lasagna so I could wash my cup and plate up and put them away. By the time it was 10pm I had finished all my homework, but art. Placing the kettle on the stove, I put my completed homework away while I waited for the kettle to boil so I could make my tea.

I settled down in my favourite chair, tea in one hand and sketch book in the other. Pulling my blanket over my legs I set to work on completing the miniature sketch of my final project I was making this semester. Winnie curled up on one of the armchairs and I gave her a gentle pat as she got comfortable. The house was silent apart from Winnie's soft purrs. Looking down sadly I traced the edge of my drawing, being careful not to smudge it. I looked at my phone to see the time read 11:30 and decided it was time for bed. Carefully picking Winnie up, I carried her to my room and placed her on the bed gently before climbing under my warm blankets. Rolling to face my bedside table I stared at the picture frame I had on it. Letting out a quiet sob I reached out to gently touch the photo, the same photo I had sketched earlier.

"Goodnight Mum and Dad, I miss you." I whispered brokenly before closing my grey eyes and drifting off to a deep sleep.