Chapter Four - Rabbit Out of a Hat

I feel another tap on my shoulder and groan, before turning to give the person sitting beside me a dirty look

I feel another tap on my shoulder and groan, before turning to give the person sitting beside me a dirty look. Taking a deep breath, I close my eyes before answering them.

"Yes Axel?" I grit out between my teeth.

"Aburey I don't get it, help me with this question." He whined dramatically while throwing his head into his hands.

"I've helped you with the last four questions, they're all the exact same." I sighed while turning back to my own work.

"But I don't get it."

"Well maybe if you weren't on your phone or sleeping in class you'd get it and wouldn't be bothering me."

The last two weeks the boys have made quite the appearance at school; coincidently several of my classes now had at least Beau or Axel in it which they assure me they've always been in but I can see through their lie. They're popping up like a rabbit out of the hat magic trick, straight out of thin air. I don't get a moments peace with them around anymore. I still refuse to sit with them, their presence alone attracts more attention than I am used and I don't like it. The first half of the year I managed to go by unnoticed by the students and now these boys are ruining it all for me. Work and school is really running me down at the moment but I can't give into it. College is right around the corner and I need to focus so I can leave this town. I was running on little to no sleep between my late shifts and then hours of homework until the early hours of the morning.

"Aubrey! Are you even listening to me?"

"Yes Axel it's hard not to listen to you when all you're doing is whining." I groaned and placed my head on the table.

"Help me to help you Aubrey, I only want what's best for you." He grinned at me cheekily.

"FINE!" I snapped.

Everyone in the class turned to look at me and I sunk down in my chair.

"Is there a problem miss Willow?" Called Mrs Carter.

"No ma'am just helping Axel with his work."

"That's very kind of you Aubrey, just keep the noise down please." She smiled before turning back to the board.

"So about this question..."

"Axel it's a really simple question asking you how to balance a chemical equation." I sighed while pulling his book closer to my side of the table.

Five minutes later Axel was nodding and understanding how to balance a chemical equation and was working on his own. When class finished I dashed out the door before Axel could say another word and to the library where I could eat my lunch in peace for  change. The period after lunch I had PE and frowned when I remembered how it had been for the last few weeks with Beau in my class.

"Alright class, this week we are looking at a dance routine. You'll need to pick a partner and get together after school to rehearse for it as it will count towards thirty percent of your grade for this semester." Boomed Coach Harris.

I sunk down in the crowd and tried to blend in while figuring out who to partner with.

"AUBREY! I CHOOSE AUBREY TO BE MY PARTNER! ABUREY WHERE ARE YOU?" I heard a loud voice yell.

I winced as the group parted like the red see as Beau walked towards me with a proud smile on his face.

"Ah there you are! Come on partner let's go get to work." He beamed while pulling me to an open area where we could begin to practice.

"Ow Beau that's my foot again." I whimpered quietly as Beau stood on my foot for the third time in the last five minutes.

"Sorry I don't really dance." He mumbled while pulling away from me and scratched the back of his head shyly.

"It's ok we just need more practice is all." I said while smiling and grabbed his hand to start the routine again.

We continued to practice for the rest of the class and he improved the more times we went through the routine. I smiled to myself thinking it was possible for us to get a good mark on this piece of assessment. After gym, I headed to my English class where I was shocked to find Hunter sitting up in the back corner with a look on his face that showed he'd rather be anywhere but here right now. Biting the inside of my cheek I took the seat in front of him when I realised he had taken my usual seat and someone else was in the other corner of the room.

The whole class I tried to ignore the irritating tap on the back of my chair as I know he was just wanting to get a reaction out of me and I was too proud to give in. My grip tightened on my pen each time and my head began to pound with each annoying tap. I was granted permission to go to the bathroom where I splashed my face with cold water before returning to class. I gave Hunter a death glare as I made my way back to my chair and turned my back to him as I went to take a seat. Right as I was about to make contact with the chair, it flew out from behind me and I landed on the ground with a thud and hit my head on Hunter's desk behind me. Wincing I curled up slightly on impact before sitting up to grab my chair.

"Oh my goodness, are you alright dear?" Called the teacher from down the front.

"Yes, sorry ma'am. I must have missed my chair." I gave her a fake smile before turning to give Hunter the dirtiest glare I could muster, pushing the tears of pain and humiliation down.

"Be careful little girl, wouldn't want the little princess to go getting hurt, now would we?" He smirked at me before leaning back in his chair.

I sat on my chair properly and ignored the pain throbbing in my head for the rest of the lesson and was thankful that at least he wasn't tapping anymore. At the end of the day I was walking out of the school gates all with my jacket on and a frown on my face as my head was still hurting from the incident with Hunter earlier. I was about to put my earphones to drown out the pain when I heard my name being yelled.

"Hey Aubrey wait up!"

"Aubrey! Aubrey wait!"

I turned around to face who was making all this commotion and came face to face with a puffing Beau and Axel trailing happily behind him and Hunter with a pissed off expression.

"Hey is it ok if I come to yours to practice today?" He smiled down at me innocently.

"Not today, I'm not feeling the best sorry." I mumbled and looked away.

"Why? What's wrong?"

"Are you ok?" Both Axel and Beau asked simultaneously.

"Why don't you ask Hunter?" I grumbled and turned my back to continue walking.

"What did you do to her?" I heard them faintly ask.

"Nothing, the dumb bitch doesn't know how to sit down in a chair properly." He grunted.

At that I turned around and was met with an equally pissed off expression from Hunter at my words.

"Fuck off Hunter."