Why Me?

The doctor turns off the light, "Well no concussion, just a couple stitches."

"See, I'm fine." I tell Four.

"You needed three stitches." he says.

"Rose, I need you to take this every morning, unless you want mind shattering migraines." the doctor hands me a small orange bottle with white pills inside.

"Okay." I say glaring at Four.

"Alright, well you are free to go." the doctor says, standing up and opening the door.

As we walk out Four is the first to speak.

"I'm sorry for the way I've been acting." he says.

"It's okay, I know you don't want them knowing you've gone soft." I laugh.

"I'm glad you understand." he smiles.

Four checks his watch, and leads us down a different hallway.

"Why are we going down here?" I whisper, then I hear voices.

"You'll see." he whispers back, his voice ice cold.

I see the rest of the initiates and Eric standing near the front of a wooden door.

"Some ground rules are set. You need to be in the training room by eight o'clock. Training is from eight to six, including a lunch break. You are free to do what you like after six. You will get time off between each stage."

I immediately think of my violin at home. I miss playing it until midnight or until my parents stopped me. I had gotten it when I was 14 years old for my birthday. That was the only nice thing they is for me, since Eric had left.

"You are only permitted to leave the compound when accompanied by a Dauntless," Eric says. "Behind this door is the room you will be sleeping in for the next few weeks. You will see that there are nine of you and ten beds, we anticipated a higher portion of you would make it this far."

I stifle a laugh, his Erudite was showing.

"In the first stage of initiation, we keep transfers and Dauntless-born initiates separate, but that doesn't mean you are evaluated separately. At the end of initiation, your rankings will be determined in comparison with the Dauntless-born initiates. And they are better than you are already. So I expect—"

"Rankings?" A Candor girl, I think is named Amy asks. "Why are we ranked?"

Eric smiles, sending a shiver down my spine. He's changed. A lot.

"Your ranking serves two purposes," he says. "The first is that it determines the order in which you will select a job after initiation. There are only a few desirable positions available."

A few?

"The second purpose," Eric says. "Is that only the top ten initiates are made members."

"What?" I gasp.

Six people will be cut, six. That was a lot, but I knew Eric nor Four would let me fail.

"What do we do when we're cut?" Luke says.

"You will leave the Dauntless compound," Eric says. "And become Factionless."

"But that's not fair! If..if I would have known-" the Amity girl says.

"Are you saying that if you had known this before the Choosing Ceremony, you wouldn't have chosen Dauntless?" Eric snaps. "Because if that's the case, you should get out now. If you are really one of us, it won't matter to you that you might fail. And if it does, you are a coward."

Eric turns and open the dormitory door. Wow, did he really need to be that harsh? I shake my head and follow him in. We all get to pick our own beds, I decide to get a bunk by the Amity girl.

"What's your name?" I ask her.

"Emily." she smiles, reaching out her hand to shake it.

I smile and take her hand, maybe I might make some friends along the way.

I hear a knock on the door and see Four enter the room, he walks towards me.

"Rose, can I talk to you?" he says.

"Sure?" I say.

He walks me out into the hallway, "So, my friend Zeke is having a Candor or Dauntless party, I wanted to know if you wanted to go?"

Really? He's asking me?

"Sure, I'd love too, I just have to get ready." I say.

"Yeah of course." he smiles. "It's going to be at his apartment, 234 C. At 7."

"See ya." I smile, I turn and walk back to the dorm. My heart pounding.

I get ready as fast as I can. I brush my hair out with my fingers, and brush my teeth, twice. I needed to look good, but not over do it. I pinch my cheeks until they are red, bite my lips to make they seem pink, and get my fingers wet and try to curl my lashes. In the end I actually look good! I french braid my hair since I had a few minutes, and I head down to Four's friend Zeke's.