01 | Susan's Horn

A/N: This book is going to be written entirely in 3rd Person. I did a mistake writing in other points of view in the first book, but I will fix it and put it in 3rd person as well. That's it! Enjoy!
************

Night cloaked the sky, leaving the moon's radiance as the land's only source of light. This night wasn't an ordinary night; no, it was marked with the seal of greed, death looming over all as it waits for its next victim. Everyone was oblivious to the warnings of the impending chaos that was aching to unravel. Of course they were oblivious, they were Telmarines: foreigners of the Narnian land. They knew nothing of the signs in the skies and the twiddling of the trees, nothing of the barren streams and broken land. They were blinded by their own stupidity, mindlessly trudging about like a mass of soulless corpses.

It was depressing that a group of bandits stole such a rich land, sucking up its pure magnificence over the past 1300 years. During all that time, Raven could do nothing but watch, imprisoned by her own foolish mistakes. She watched as the Narnians ran into the woods, hoping to find solace in the evergreen wilderness. She watched as they begged for her to awaken and save them all. It only fueled Raven's hatred even more. They were driving her mad with threats, spells, and empty prayers. They went as far as building Aslan's How behind her, appointing her guardian of the Stone Table. It was useless really, because after four hundred years, she became nothing more than a myth in a Telmarine folklore. That's what Prince Caspian's professor taught him.

Narnians were fairytales to the Telmarine heir; little fictional creatures of all shapes and sizes. It was something interesting to learn, the ridiculous historical background of the Telmarines only lulling the young prince into a dreamless sleep. A small part of him felt for the Narnians, albeit their extinction. That little part of him was only exposed to his beloved professor, his fatherly confidant and mentor. What Caspian didn't know is that the professor would use that to his advantage. Caspian also didn't know that his life was hanging on the line.

The lunar eclipse was unfolding, Lady Prunapisma was delivering her child, and Lord Miraz waited anxiously in the Grand Hall. This very night could determine his legitimacy as the potential king of Narnia. Lady Prunapisma's wails of agony could be heard from all corners of the castle, the handmaidens running around the castle to get more materials for the childbirth. All Lord Miraz could do was wait far away from his wife and think about his strategic plan set to be occurring on the very night of the child's birth.

He had been formulating the plan ever since he found out his wife was pregnant, including a selected few into his murderous scheme. Most were willingly a part of it, wanting Lord Miraz to gain the throne rather than his incompetent nephew. Few were threatened, the fear of losing their heads making them out to be weaklings. That's how the Telmarines gained their power; instilling fear across the nations as they pummeled their way through.

The sudden silence was a loud noise to Lord Miraz. His wife's cries ceased and the anxious maids no longer bustling about the halls demanding for more towels. It was quiet, until the familiar thudding of footsteps caught the Lord's ears. A middle aged man stepped into the hall, a shadow of a grin growing on his face as he addressed Lord Miraz. "Lord Miraz, you have a son."

Lord Miraz let out a breath of which he thought he held for an hour, and stared up at the moon. "The heavens have blessed us," He hummed, his sharp and bearded chin jutting up as his posture stiffened. Without turning to look at the man behind him, Lord Miraz was able to sense his pure happiness. Then Miraz's gleeful demeanor dropped with a deadly tone laced in his words. "You know your orders," he growled, only glancing at the man. "General Glozelle."

Fortunately, the general wasn't the only man who knew of the night's plan. Caspian's professor, Doctor Cornelius, lurked about the castle halls, watching his surroundings as he attempted to get to Caspian's room in time. He was as silent as a mouse, his presence going unnoticed even when he entered the young prince's room. Carefully making his way to the bed, he quickly clasped his palm over Caspian's mouth. The boy was scared awake, his eyes widening then drooping shut once he realized it was only the professor. "Five more minutes," he grumbled before turning over and facing his back towards the aging teacher.