16 | Matter of Choice

It was odd that the snow crunching beneath Raven's feet did not freeze off her toes by now. In fact, the snow didn't feel cold against her skin. What was more alarming was that Raven was following the trail of snow out of the safety of her temporary recovery room in the How. She never felt so afraid to step out of her comfort zone, nor has she ever followed an ominous trail into the hallway of what is supposed to be Aslan's tomb. Yet, Raven did so anyway.

Why? Perhaps it was curiosity, the very same curiosity that always manages to land her in unpleasant situations as Crystalline and Raven. It was as if her brain was hardwired for stupid decisions that she knew very well could be dealt with differently if she simply thought hard enough. Or perhaps it is the fact that Tash holds a metaphorical sword against Raven's jugular and is ordering her to make a decision that she isn't prepared to make.

Yet she still continues to step forward, hearing the suddenly loud crunching of the snow beneath her feet. One step after the other, she told herself. Somehow that managed to comfort Raven enough to keep her heart from bursting with anxiety. Her eyes darted from the trail to the dark hallway ahead, wondering if in this dream Tash was nice enough to give her a torch to at least see her doom.

Raven reached the entry to the hallway, unfortunately greeted by pitch black darkness both ways. The angel huffed, her fear bubbling into annoyance quickly enough to make her stomp back into the room and grab a torch off the wall. Enough with his ridiculous games, she sneered to herself before going back to the entrance. Raven peered into the hallway once again, looking at both directions to see the same darkness. Raven knew which direction was which, left leading deeper into the How and right leading outwards. She didn't want to look down at the ground to see where the ice would lead, hoping that perhaps she could walk her own path out of the labyrinth of Tash's test.

So Raven took a tentative step out onto the hall, eyeing the path that led to the outside and hopefully to her wake. She lifted her leg and stepped right, only to hit a magical force. Raven jumped back, her eyes widening in confusion as she tried to extend her arm to the right and hit the same force field. She found herself looking down unintentionally, not so surprised when the trail of ice led to the left. Towards the Stone Table... There was an unsettling sensation that grew in her stomach at the thought of going back to the very place that jeopardized her disguise every time she goes there.

Yet, Raven did not have a choice. No matter how many times she tried to forcefully shove her body to the right, the invisible wall stayed put and strong. Eventually, she whirled around to face the darkness of the hall where the trail led her. Raven knew full well that she won't be able to go the direction she wants to go. This was Tash's path chosen out for her, and it only terrified her the more she thought about why he would choose that specific path. The deity knows where it led, and he knew the effect it had on her. Perhaps that's the reason? She asked herself.

'Choose...'

His voice echoed down the hall, only adding to her argument as to why she should just stay in her temporary room. Raven turned back to enter her room, finding yet another invisible wall keeping her from entering. "Gah!" She huffed, punching the magical force field with her free hand. There was no escape now. Raven had to follow the trail, she had to go left. Would she regret this? Completely, but she doesn't have a choice. Begrudgingly, Raven put one foot in front of the other, forcing herself to count random numbers to distract her mind enough so that she wouldn't think about what may be before her.

Death? Raven greets death like an old friend. Torture? Visions and Voices were enough to make her highly tolerant. What else could Tash use on her? What trick did he have up his sleeve? The random numbers she said to herself proved to be futile since questions had managed to successfully fill her mind and every thought. So she let it consume her and drive her mad as the voices once did before they disappeared. Even though she constantly claimed that the voices in her head were nothing but a nuisance, a small part of her missed them.