03 | In Caspian's Defense

Caspian trekked out into the forest in the direction of where the castle would be. He was powered by rage, the want to kill his uncle and rid the land of his evil ways was overbearing. The young prince knew he was risking his life, but his thought process wasn't reasonable at the moment. All he felt was anger and determination, and nobody was going to stop him from what he wanted to do. Except for the two Narnians who were doing a terrible job at quietly following Caspian.

Hearing their rustling, Caspian sighed and begrudgingly turned around to look at them. "I can hear you." They were hiding behind two trees, but instead of staying in their hiding place, they stepped out. The badger, Trufflehunter was the first to step out, pleading to the prince that he would stay put. "I just think we should wait for the Kings and Queens," he pressed. Caspian merely stared at him, before turning back around and continuing on his way.

Trufflehunter grumbled, already bursting with irritation from Nikabrik, and Caspian was just an extra load. "Fine! Go on then! Let's see if the others are just as understanding," Trufflehunter retorted condescendingly, with Nikabrik following up with a snide comment of his own. "Maybe I'll come with you. I'd like to see how you'd explain things to the Minotaurs."

Caspian stopped walking, turning around to look down at the dwarf who began to walk behind him. "Minotaurs? They're real?" He asked in confusion, looking at the two Narnians as they made their way up next to him. "And very bad tempered," Trufflehunter explained, and Nikabrik nodded in agreement. "And not to mention, big."

"Huge."

Trufflehunter and Nikabrik quickened their pace, practically leading the Telmarine as he questioned them. "What about centaurs? Do they still exist?" Caspian asked. Trufflehunter nodded, and began to explain. "Well the centaurs will probably fight on your side," he informed Caspian. "But there's no telling what the others will do." They continued to move ahead, but Caspian slowed his pace, thinking of the stories his professor would tell. He remembered the tale of a great lion, one of shimmering golden fur and eyes as brilliant as the setting sun.

"What about Aslan?"

Both of them stopped, the name shaking them to the core. It had been long since his name was said, and the shock was written all over their faces as they turned back to stare up at the Telmarine with suspicion. "How do you know so much about us?" Nikabrik questioned Caspian, his eyes narrowing slightly as the Telmarine visibly recoiled. Clearly, he asked the wrong question at the wrong time, and now they are not so sure if the prince was as innocent as they thought. "Stories," Caspian replied.

They were shocked, looking at the Telmarine prince with eyes as big as saucers. "Your father told you stories about Narnia?" Trufflehunter asked in wonder. Caspian shook his head and said, "No, my professor." That only confused the Narnians more. They were told that their race was long forgotten, that no one even knows they existed anymore. It made them wonder how many Telmarines know of their tale. "Listen, I am sorry," Caspian spoke sincerely, his words meaning more than just a simple apology. "These are not the kinds of questions you should be asking."

As he walked ahead, Trufflehunter caught a breeze and a distinct scent that he knew all too well. "What is it?" Nikabrik asked the badger as he sniffed the air. "Human," the badger said, scanning his surroundings to find the source of the smell. "Him?" Nikabrik asked, pointing to Caspian as the prince too began to look around. "No," Trufflehunter said, the smell overpowering and too intense to just be from Caspian. It was a strong and metallic scent, mangled with the unique scent of man, and when he looked to where they came, he was able to see the group of Telmarine soldiers trek their way through the foilage. "Them."