04 | The Gorge Sightings

Clunk!

Another of Raven's arrows sunk deep into the bark of a fallen tree, landing perfectly in the same position as the others around it. She was in the Dancing Lawn, a small clearing hidden in the Shuddering Woods and a meeting place that was founded by the Narnians long ago before the White Witch. The centaurs bustled about, occasionally popping in with a few Narnians at a time. They were rallying up as many Narnians as they could find, aiming to discuss the matter of the Telmarine Prince who might have unintentionally saved Narnia.

It has been going on for hours, resulting in Raven to try and entertain herself with her weapons. She was tasked with babysitting Caspian, since he wasn't allowed to leave the premises for the risk of him running off and exposing the remaining Narnians. Raven knew he wouldn't, for what Telmarine would try to save a Narnian badger only to lead it to death? She mentally scoffed, turning to get a good look at Caspian. Her face was shielded by her dark hood, giving her enough coverage to blatantly stare at the nervous boy without being caught.

Raven took notice of his tanned skin, a trait that seemed to run in Telmarine blood. His eyes were a brilliant shade of dark amber, rich with the warm hues that could be matched with the bark of the Narnian trees. Dark tendrils of brown hair touched the top of his shoulder blades, and framed his surprisingly structural face. His face was clear of any facial hair, proving that he is barely passing his adolescent stage. Raven smirked at that, estimating that the prince was not older than seventeen.

He was tall and lean-built, his stance of royalty evident in his pacing. Caspian has not sat once, his nerves far too wild for him to stay in one place. He was still trying to grasp the sticky situation he unintentionally got himself into. All he wanted was to escape his uncle's wrath, and settle somewhere south in the lands of Calormen or north in Archenland. He never expected to run into a race that had long since been considered extinct, nor did he expect to be the one to summon the Dark Angel and the Kings and Queens of old.

Raven finally averted her gaze off of Caspian, his pacing setting her on edge. Twirling another of her arrows in her gloved hand, she threw it more forcibly, lodging it deep into the bark. Caspian warily glanced at her, his steps faltering to a halt when Raven moved to stand up. "I'm going for a walk," she said, walking to the tree and pulling out all of her arrows with ease. Raven had grown bothered by Caspian's restlessness, finding it maddening to the point that she wanted to notch an arrow and shoot it at his head.

Caspian's eyes widened, his feet planted to the floor as he tried to form a sentence that would not get him killed. "Aren't you supposed to keep watch over me?" He asked, watching as Raven analyzed her arrows carefully to see if there was any damaged. "Yes, but seeing that you are walking around in a circle like some lost puppy, I figure you won't be going anywhere," Raven replied, moving to grab her bow and settling the arrows in her quiver which rested against the rock she was sitting on moments ago. With her quiver secured on her back and bow in hand, she started walking to the treeline.

Caspian couldn't help but feel slightly offended by what she said. I am not some lost puppy, he sneered mentally, eyeing the hooded woman with a defying gaze. His pride wounded, Caspian turned to sizing her up. He jutted up his chin and squared his shoulders, and spoke before he could even think. "What if I decide to leave?"

Raven froze, her fingers tightening their grasp on the smooth wood of her bow. It seems the prince has found his ego again, she hissed in her thoughts. Albeit her face was unseen, Caspian could imagine a sinister look growing on her face, and for a second, imagined she would kill him right then and there. Raven was tempted to do so, the voices coaxing her to use him for target practice. Sucking in a sharp breath, she turned around to look at him.