Chapter 10: React to High School

"Is this really necessary?" Sophie asked, as Keefe bounced with excitement.

"Yes, it is," Mr. Forkle said. "A big part of why you're such a big part in our rebel movement is because you know more about humans. If all elves were able to meet the humans, then I'm sure they wouldn't be so eager to put them in a tiny habitat."

"Why high school, though? Can't we just experience humanity by, I don't know, maybe just going to a grocery store or the library?" demanded Sophie.

"School is a great place to interact with other kids your age. How much did you ever talk to people in a library?" Mr. Forkle said. "Besides, it'll be good for you kids to experience a different school, and possibly become more grateful to have Foxfire."

"I'm not so sure about that," Keefe said. "Human school sounds great! I mean, Foster went there and look how she turned out. It can't be that bad."

"You have no idea," Sophie muttered.

"I'm sure it'll be fine. I mean, high school isn't the end of the world. And look, Dex is excited, right Dex?" Keefe pointed at Dex, who was examining a laptop the Black Swan gave them for school.

Dex looked back at them, smiling hesitantly. "Actually, I'm not so sure about this, I mean my experience with the Forbidden Cities hasn't been so great," Dex said, then quickly added, "I mean, besides Sophie coming from there!"

Sophie winced a little, thinking about the times she was in the human world with Dex, especially the kidnapping.

"Don't worry so much, I'm sure we'll be fine," Fitz said, looking at Sophie.

"I'm sure we won't be hurt physically, but mentally? Kids can be pretty mean," Sophie said.

"You kids will all be fine. It's just one day," Mr. Forkle said, then looked outside were the sun was rising. "One day which is starting in a half hour. You kids better hurry up."

............

As soon as Sophie arrived on campus she groaned. Biana, Fitz, Dex, Sophie, and Keefe had translators that Dex made for them to speak English, backpacks, various school materials, and were all dressed in the clothes they wore when they went through Palazza Vecchio to join the Black Swan. Sophie had Dex wear his Wonder Woman shirt inside out to save him from the embarrassment.

"Why's this tree covered in dots?" Dex asked, about to poke the tree.

"Don't touch that!" Sophie swatted his hand away. "That's gum, it's just something you chew on for flavor and then spit out. I don't know why people can't hold on for their gum for a minute longer to find a trash can. Instead they just put it on this tree, which is now called the 'Gum Tree'."

"Eww," Biana said, taking a step back.

More students were arriving and pushing past the elves, who were taking up a large portion of the entrance in their circle. They moved off to the side, so Sophie could discuss their schedules with them.

Dex, Biana, Sophie, and Keefe all had standard Freshmen classes, such as Biology which they had together first period. At first Sophie was worried that Dex, Biana, and her would seem too young to be Freshmen, but they were actually taller than a few students they came across.

Fitz was stuck with the Sophomores because of his age, but Mr. Forkle figured he'd be fine because of the time he spent searching for Sophie. Sophie figured he wouldn't have a problem making friends either, since a few girls had already noticed him as well as the other elves when they were walking down the hall earlier.

Mr. Forkle had allowed them to pick their own electives, saying it was part of the experience. They agreed to all take band as one of their electives, which they had sixth period together, and then they choose different ones from each others. Keefe choose Art, Fitz choose Leadership, Biana chose Home Ed, and Dex choose Robotics.