Chapter 3(Chris)

As soon as I got to the school and was out my car, I ran to my second period class. I made it just in time for the late bell. I sat in my usual seat in the back of the class next to Krista. She was my second best friend since Mary found me and enrolled me to the middle school right next to this high school. She and Alan were the first people who would talk to me. I mean, being in a new school in your new life with no memory, doesn’t make a person very social. She had short dirty blonde hair and light blue eyes that go along with the smile that’s always on her face. “So, late again Christy. What for this time?”

            “Let’s just say that I think Mary is a magnet for injured people, and stop calling me that. It sounds like a girl name.” Before she could reply, Mr. Sells came in the room and told the class to turn to page 145 in our history books. After an hour and a half of historical torture, Krista and I went to meet Alan at his locker. “What was that about Mary being a magnet?” Krista asked on the way. “Well, long story short, a ‘winged’ girl collapsed in her backyard. Apparently she had a pretty bad cut on her arm and she was a little weak kneed, but that could have been from losing so much blood. She’s also kind of antisocial,” I told her almost yelling over the loud hallway commotion. “Wow, how old is she?”

            “She looked about sixteen, why?”

            “Mary found you when you were only like ten right? So I thought maybe she might be just as young as you were when Mary found you.”

            “I think it’s funny how you completely ignore the fact that she had wings.”

            “I thought you were just kidding about that part?” she said looking confused. I sighed and said, “I’m not. Sure, maybe the wings disappeared out of nowhere but when I asked Lynette about them she…”

            “Wait, who’s Lynette?”

            “That’s the girl’s name, Lynette. Anyway, when I asked her about the wings, she looked really scared and acted like she didn’t know what I was talking about.”

            “Who didn’t know what you were talking about? And what are you talking about?” Alan asked when we got to his locker. Alan’s not much of a muscle man but is one very smart red headed cookie.

 “Apparently, Mary has a thing with injured things and now she’s taking care of a wounded bird girl,” Krista told him. He just stared at her with a questionable look. “It’s a long story; let’s just get to our next class so I’m not counted late again,” I said while walking toward my class. “Wait, you were late for class again. At this rate, I would be surprised if you graduate,” Alan said trailing me along with Krista. “Don’t worry, I can still graduate, but I don’t think Mary will be too happy right now if she knew I was late for more than one class,” I said.

“Oh yeah, don’t forget that we’re still meeting after school to go do something for your birthday, Chris. I got to go to my class now so see ya,” Krista said while walking the other way. I waved behind me and slowed down some for Alan to catch up. “So what exactly do you guys have planned for my birthday anyway?” I tried asking him for the fiftieth time. “I’m not saying. It’s a surprise. You’ll find out tonight so just be patient,” he answered right before we got to our English class. I wonder what it is that’s so special about what we’re doing that they have to keep a secret. I guess I’ll find out tonight.