Chapter Three - My Birthday

Jenny and I first met when we were in kindergarten

Jenny and I first met when we were in kindergarten. Even back then we went to the same private school, just a different building. I remember hating school. We had to wear uniforms that were ugly. We had to sit up straight, and they had to teach us all of our manners. They said that they were training us to be a lady.

Anyways, the day we met, was the day that made school fun. It was recess, and I wanted to play in the dirt like any other little kid. However, the school didn't like that, and I was caught and being lectured for acting like a boy. I guess Jenny felt sorry for me, she overheard the whole conversation, because she told me how she liked to play in the dirt with her brother also. Since then we've been best friend, going through everything together.

However, going to public school was something Jenny had to face on her own. And I had to start the first day of my senior year, alone. I remember how we planned to walk in together on the first day of school, as the top dogs. I was supposed to pick her up and then we would walk in together, talking and laughing.

So not even realizing it was my birthday could even cheer me up. Actually, it made me sadder that I knew I wouldn't see Jenny at all, until after school. I can't believe I'm saying this – but I missed Jenny already.

Actually, I've been missing her since I said bye to her yesterday. Yesterday, was the last day of the summer. We all went over to Jenny's house and just hung out around there, doing nothing too special, but yet special to us. And we only mentioned about the boy's locker room once – this time it was Val. Val mentioned to Jenny to draw us a floor plan. To this Jenny shot down right away, saying that it would be too specious for her if she did that. But she promised us that she would get us a map. It wasn't brought up again.

I was still in bed, debating whether or not I could kidnap Jenny, when there was a knock on my door. This was not unusual, my parents loved to wake me up on my birthday.

"Happy eighteenth birthday, sweetie," said my mom. I didn't want to disappoint my mom, so I gave her a big smile. I knew she would buy it.

"Thanks, mom," I said, getting up. I needed to get ready for school. I couldn't be late, even if it was my birthday. According to the handbook, there were no excuses to show up late on the first day of school. And if you did? You better had to have a doctor's note in your back pocket. Yeah, I go to a hard ass school.

"Your present from your dad and I is going to be downstairs," said my mom, walking towards the door. "And we would like to see you open it before you leave for school."

I frowned. This was the number one reason why I hated having my birthday on the first day of school – my parent's traditions. I loved them, I really did. But when my mom mentioned about me opening my gift before I leaved, it wasn't the fact about opening the gift. It was the fact that my parents wanted to take pictures, and talk about that one gift for hours on end. I was late to school before – eighth grade.

I looked at the clock, and that jut made it worse. I was already running late. I set my alarm twenty minutes, so I would be prepared for this and to take a shower in the morning. I must of laid in my bed longer than I thought, dreading about the thought of going to school without Jenny.