Flawless [3]

3.

I found Poet as soon as I got to school and told her everything that happened between last night and now. “How could someone even take it? Are you sure you didn’t misplace it?”

A crease formed on my forehead “I didn’t misplace it. When Ryan came I put it in the top drawer of my desk, it was tucked into the corner. My drawer is empty.” I said, recalling the wooden bottom of the drawer that had been covered for the last few years. I kept my voice low as we moved through the corridors of Lords Lake Academy, we spent the majority of our lives here as it connected with the middle school and elementary campuses.  As we walked I received multiple smiles and greetings it wasn’t anything foreign to me. I was quite used to it, everyone seemed to always be looking at me, it was something that I had noticed over the last few years. I didn’t have big enough boobs for it to be the reason, I thought I was a pretty enough person but I never considered myself to be the prettiest. But then again what person doesn’t think that?

“Well it had to be somewhere, I’ll come over tonight and help you look for it if you want?” she asked as we made our way to our lockers. There were two people between us, so our conversation was broken for a few moments. I shuffled my bag around my locker, careful not to drop anything. In comparison to Poet I was better than this she was quite good when it came to dropping her belongings on the corridor floor.

“Yeah that should be fine, Dad’s flying in around dinner time, and its only 20 minutes from the airport so he’ll just catch a cab.” I said, closing my locker, walking over to Poet and leaning against the lockers next to hers.

“Does that mean he might be cooking?” she sounded hopeful. “No offence or anything but your mom sucks. She burns cornflakes.”

“She doesn’t suck, she just isn’t as good as my dad.” Which was entirely true, but the ordering in last night was proof of that.

As she closed her locker we began to move together up the hallway to first period Biology.  It was one of my favourite subjects, I found it so interesting, and Mr Vernadarkis was my favourite teacher. A lot of people think he’s a mean old grouch, I think he’s funny.

When we got closer to the science wing Poet picked up another conversation. “I have the video from yesterday if you want to look at it?” she held out a red shinny SD card.

Up ahead I saw Ryan leaning against the wall by our classroom talking with one of his friends. I quickly reached out and took the SD card from Poet, pocketing the card in my jeans. I gave a little wave when Ryan noticed me coming, he pushed off from the walls and walked away from his friends walking the short distance between us, he put his arms around me, my books crushing against my chest, as he leaned down and planted a quick kiss on my lips.

I looked around and Poet had already managed to disperse to stand by Elody, for some reason, her and Ryan have never been able to get along very well. They do their best for me, but they always manage to have their little niggles.

“How are you?” he asked, his voice low.

I shrugged “Yeah good,” which was my usual response.

Just then the door to the classroom flung open and our teacher stepped into the hallway, beckoning the class into the room. A teacher that wasn’t Mr. Vernadakis.

“My name is Mr. Cashel.” He announced returning to the desk at the front, “I’ll be your substitute while Mr Vernadakis is away dealing with family matters.” He picked up a white board marker and scribbled Mr. Cashel across the top of the board. He class settled into their usual seats and Mr. Cashel kept talking, “We’ll have plenty of time to get to know each other as I have been informed that Mr. V, will be out for the rest of the semester.”