Flawless [5]

5.

I sucked on an ice cube and listened as dad opened the front door, put his house key in the bowl on the stand, set down his suite case and hung up his coat.

“Delta, Luka? I’m home. Evie?” I heard him picked up his suite case and across the entrance to the stairs.

“Dad.” Luka said, peering out of his room. I could see him from here “Mom’s not home yet, she’s teaching a class late tonight.”

Dad stood at the top of his the stairs, talking with Luka about dinner, then about the band and the gig on Saturday night. After a few moments dad looked over to me through my bedroom door. On my bed a cold washcloth laid across my forehead I sat up when he saw me.

“You okay bubs?” he said using the nickname from when I was a child.

“Yeah dad I’m fine, just feeling a little bit sick.” He looked at me up and down I could see the concern clear on his face.

“Does that mean you’ll be too sick for my risotto?”

I gave him a brief smile “I’d come back from the dead for that risotto.”

He chuckled then picked up his suitcase before going to unpack in his room. Truth be told, my body had completely recovered from my bout of sickness. My electrolytes had been restored and I had the complete feeling of energy wash over like I always whenever my body healed itself.

“You’re feeling aren’t you?” Poet said, pushing herself up onto my desk, as she examined me.

I nodded. “That’s never happened to me before. Vomiting is gross.”

“Tell me about it, just stop and think about the girls who it look pretty.”

“They’re crazy.” I say bringing my legs up to my chest.

Poet jumped off the desk and made her way over to the bed, she plonked herself across from me and crossed her legs.

I rested my head on my knees and looked the window, the sky was stark grey colour and would soon be completely black.

“Show who you think it is? Was? Is?” she finally stated, she knew that the question was one that I couldn’t answer. But it had to be said out loud.

I shrugged, “I don’t even have a list to go off. Ryan’s really the only person that I could suspect and that’s me just saying his name for the sake of having absolutely nothing to go off.”

“Who else would even know about this.”

“That’s just it. I don’t have a freaking clue. You’re the only person that I’ve knows about it. Well I mean that I’ve told.”

“I think it’s safe to say that someone defiantly knows about you too.”

I could tell that she was just trying to lighten the mood, but it wasn’t exactly helping.

Dad came back down the hall, stopping at the stairs, he looked over into my room. “Oh hey Poetta, I didn’t know you were here.”

“Hey Grayson, I was just chilling on the desk.” She said with a wave in the direction of the desk.

“You mean on the seat, and not on top of the desk, that I so carefully crafted” Dad said with a chuckle.

“I would never sit on the top of the desk.” I smiled began to appear at the cracks of her lips.

“That’s what I thought” he said before continuing down the stairs.

Poet’s phone started to vibrate in her pocket, she started to wiggle around until she managed to get it free. Clicking answer she held it against her ear “A-hoy-hoy!” she greeted the person on the other end. After a few seconds I heard that it was her mother. Angie was a nice lady, but at times she could be very cold, maybe because she still hadn’t gotten over the husband leaving her a few years ago. And sometimes she would take this out on Poet.