Flawless [6]

6.

Behind me, where the game was being played to the sounds that the crowd was made, Ryan scored a touched down, everyone went wild and I was pulled back into reality out of the scared stupor that the stranger had put me in. Elody pulled me around to face the game and we cheered for his achievement.

“You okay?” Elody called over the blow of the whistle and the cries coming from Coach Claridge.

I nodded “I’m fine.” I said back, twisting the pom poms around my wrists. When I dared look back in the spot next to the bleachers where the stranger had been I felt a twist in my stomach to find that he wasn’t there anymore.

I searched all over the stands looking into the faces of everyone there checking all of their clothes, trying to find someone in all black. But nothing.  The closest I came was a couple of black jumpers, but then then they had writing across them or college charter symbols.

The game went quickly after that, we won. As always. Lords Lake had won the last seven state championships and our football team was the only real claim to fame that our school had.

Walking out of the field it started to spit and I could tell that heavy rain was on its way. Archer was in deep discussion with Paxon about something and Poet was telling me how she like the new cheer that Reagan had come up with.

“Come on crowd let’s make some noise” she imitated the tone we used. “Inspiring.”

Someone honked their car horn behind us and when I turned around I found that it was Ryan, probably annoyed to find that I had left the game without waiting for him as I usually did.

His car came up next to me, I jumped back at how close he got.. “Babe, you want a ride home?” he asked following us, up the lot, keeping other cars built up behind him.

“I was going to get a lift home with Poet,” I told him, as we came close to her car.

“See-you guys” Archer said as he parted from the group waving at, Paxon, Poet and I.

“Bye” I said quietly, I didn’t think he would have heard me, but he turned around and said ‘bye’ to me. A smile rose on my lips.

As I turned back I saw Charmaine come across the lot with Reagan every few steps she was looking back and forth between Reagan and me.

Paxon, who had gotten tired of the contemplation gave up waving a bye to us he jogged across the lot to get into the car with his friends.

People who were behind Ryan were really starting to get annoyed. Honking their horns and shouting inappropriate comments about him and his mom?

But Ryan wasn’t giving up so easily “Come on babe. Please? Pretty please”

I really didn’t want to, after what I heard or at least what I thought I had heard. I suppose the car ride home would be good, to spend time with my boyfriend and try and sort things out. I don’t know what it was, everything had been fine up until a few days ago, and then…it was scaring me, because not even I knew what was going on. I suppose this is where ‘drifting apart’ becomes a possible reason.

“We can go to TCBY?!” he said his voice drifting up, trying to entice me. it was a pretty good offer, and free yogurt at this hour and after this day seemed like a pretty good idea.

“Fine.” I said moving towards the car, I turned back suddenly remembering Poet. “Oh…I’m going to ge-”

She held her hand up, cutting me off “Say no more, I’ll see you tomorrow.” She winked at me before continuing on to her car at the end of the lot.