Chapter 13

to.geth.er

təˈɡeT͟Hər/

adverb

--with or in proximity to another person or people.

^^^

I replayed the dream over and over in my head again. It wasn't really a dream; it was a nightmare unlike anything I'd ever had before. It was like a storm that had been waiting to unleash for years but just now thought of showing itself.

I remember running through the maze with the spider behind me. It had gone back to its way of making its smaller web. I recall running a ways before I came to another test. I'd run into a fog-like haze that was thicker than pea-soup. I could barely see my hand in front of my face when I raised it to check how hazy it actually was.

I brought myself back to reality and gazed at Damien's back—focused on his shoes, then back to reliving my dream.

The scratching sounds came next. It was like claws on wood scraping away at whatever held it. I'd stopped running and slowly walked on to the sounds. I approached them to where they began to sound like small, alluring murmurs. No words could be made out. I felt like I was in the dark in some horror film.

I took another step forward and something else moved in the fog. It was in front of me, churning the cloud around its form. I blinked again and took another proceeding step. Not only did my footstep sound, but it seemed to echo itself.

In the white darkness a grey figure appeared. It stood close to my height and was no less than a few feet away from me. The creature seemed to resemble my stature.

"Who's there? Show yourself."

Those same scratching and murmuring sounds escaped the figure and it rose to heights much larger than I. Long, pointed arms extended down, almost touching the ground. Its legs pointed down like its arms and its knees bent backwards similar to a horse's back legs. Not to mention its head now was inches larger around than it had been before. As well, it seemed to have not a hair on its body as it stood tall.

I stepped back in horror while it seemed to stare in my general direction. Goosebumps rose on my skin while it shot out a puff of air from its seemingly fanged mouth.

Syndicat's voice echoed through the fog, "This is the newest demon hybrid tracking device, or DHTD. It can't see. It relies on hearing and smell." He paused and mumbled something along the lines of, 'bit of an inconvenience', but he continued on, "It has no nose. I will tell you, it has snake DNA."

I mentally cursed as I eyed the creature up and down. It didn't move as I silently studied. The fog cleared slightly, but only to where I could see it more. The creature was wearing a black suit.

"Is this Slender-man?" I whispered under my breath.

The being shifted in my direction whilst tilting its head to get an advantage with its hearing. Its tongue slid out from between long, dagger like fangs. The pink muscle waved out in front of it similar to a snake. All the while I stood frozen on the hard floor.

I thought back through the process in my mind, which I strangely could remember perfectly.

If I took a step, my shoes will click on the floor, and it will surely hear me. It'll end up killing me.

I glanced down at my shoes. Maybe if I took them off and walked in my socks, it won't hear me as well.

I nodded to myself and slowly unbuckled the boots, keeping a close watch on the creature. The buckles made no sounds for as slow as I undid them. Once both were undone I slid them off my feet—moving onto the cold floor.