NOELLE // 02

BOOK: Lessons on Love
WORD COUNT: 1794
SHORT BIO: The second of four instalments of 'Noelle', Charley and Kingsley's daughter.

"HEY ELLE," RIDER SMILED as I kicked his front door shut behind me.

"My dad is trying to get me to quit again," I told him and looked around for Max. "You're not going to try to make me, are you?"

"Eh," he shrugged and changed the television station. 

"Nice," I nodded and dropped onto the couch next to him.

"Did you skip today?" He asked me.

"Nah," I sighed. "Nile had a test last period and couldn't skip it so we just stayed."

"I want to meet Nile," Rider told me. "He sounds cool."

"Nile is very cool," I agreed and we watched what was on for another few minutes. "Is Blake here?"

"Why?" Rider smirked. "You like him?"

"I sure do," I teased and got up again. I went into Blake's room and he was sitting at his desk, soft music playing from his phone. He looked up at me and I dropped onto his bed. 

"Hey Blake," I said and he gave me a little wave. "Are you doing uni work?"

"Yeah," he sighed. "It's such bullshit though, I'm ready to dropout."

"You can't dropout," I scoffed. "You're smart Blake, you can do it."

"I'm not smart," he told me, "I just work hard."

"Well work harder," I scoffed and he rolled his eyes before scooting his chair closer to the bed. 

"What are you doing in here?" He asked me.

"I'm here to seduce you," I teased and he laughed. "I'm just sick of my dad I guess."

"Is this about smoking again?" He checked. 

"I don't get it," I huffed. "He smoked when he was younger."

"And then he quit," Blake challenged me and I narrowed my eyes at him. "You can't just keep running away from your problems Elle."

"I'm not running away," I assured him, "I'm just taking a break."

"Stop smoking," he ordered me and I looked at him in disbelief. He laughed a little and leaned down, pressing his lips to mine. He pulled away and I was more confused now than I was before. "If you don't stop smoking, I'll never kiss you again."

"Who said I wanted you to kiss me in the first place?" I scoffed. 

"Mhmm," he hummed. 

"I should probably go home," I sighed and dropped my head back onto his bed. "If I don't get back soon it'll only be worse."

"If you actually just want a break from it all, then you can come and spend a night here," he told me. "I just refuse to be your scapegoat, okay?"

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes. I should have gotten up and gone home, but I stayed on Blake's bed and just watched as he did his course work. "Why do you live with your uncle?"

"My dad is abusive," Blake answered. "When he found out that my dad was hitting me, uncle Max took me in. I think I was twelve at the time but he had been with Rider for almost a year by then."

"I guess Max and Rider have been together for a while now," I said and Blake nodded. 

***

"How long have you two been together?" I asked my parents as Nile struggled with his maths homework.