Chapter Three - Bad News

-One Week Later-

-John-

Today I wake up before Sherlock does so I'm not met with the normal 'Good morning' and he is not standing at the door opening. I roll out if my bed as I always do. I sneak over to the smaller bed in the corner of my big room. Of course a guard can't be awake all the time, he needs somewhere to sleep too.

He is well trained to wake up easily. But he doesn't wake up when I tip-toe over there. I throw a pillow in his face and he shoots up, his hand searching for his weapon. When he realises there isn't an intruder anywhere he notices me, currently bent over with laughter. He doesn't look very amused.

"God you should have seen your face." I exclaim, still laughing, and he rolls his eyes.

"Good morning to you too Prince." He gives me a faint smile. He has warmed up against me a lot more during the week that has past. I think I would even call him a friend. Suddenly I get a pillow thrown at me and I duck, avoiding it.

In a second we are in the middle of a war, hiding behind furniture and trying to surprise each other with an attack. I hide behind the couch to make up a plan but before I have time to even take a calming breath a pillow is thrown at me.

"Oh you-" I say and run after the other boy who is laughing. I hit him in his stomach with a pillow and he holds his arms in defence. We both stop immediately when the door opens and the Queen enters.

"Good morning mother." I say and stands up straight and Sherlock bows before also standing straight as a pole. She looks around in the slightly messy room and rolls her eyes.

"It's great that you're having fun dear but don't make such a mess." My mother smiles at me and Sherlock. I guess she is happy that I'm not such a loner.

"Your father and I wants you to eat breakfast with us, we have an announcement. And please do wear something nice." She glances between us and leaves, closing the door. I sigh. I have a suspicion what it is they want to tell me. I pull off my nightshirt, Sherlock turns away to give me sone privacy and to get dressed himself. When we both are dressed Sherlock opens the door for me. I don't move and he sighs a little.

"I know that you fear what they will say but it will not be better if we take too long time to get there Prince." He says and gestures to me to come.

"Well you are not the one who at any moment will be forced to find someone to marry." I give him a sad look. He follows me through the corridors to the room in which the crown family eats. We open the door, and bows to my parents. I take a seat at the other end of the table and Sherlock sits down on a chair next to me. At the table are my mother and father, my baby brother and my 10 year old twin sisters. And everyone's guards too.

"Welcome son." The king says.

"You should hold us company at breakfast more often."

"Father you know I don't like to eat in the morning." I excuse myself. I doubtfully put a piece of bread on my plate and pours a glass​ of milk. Not much for a breakfast but it's a lot for me. I usually just eat something little about two hours before lunch instead of breakfast. I don't understand others appetite this early in the morning.

I see Sherlock reluctantly follow my actions. Our personal guards eats with us though I don't see him eat much. I glance at him then his plate and he rolls his eyes at me but takes a second sandwich.I give him a smile but stop when I feel my mother's eyes on me. My father is currently having a conversation with Isabelle and Harriet. My mother clears her throat and my father turns his attention towards me.

"John we asked you here today to tell you that Princess Claudette is coming to visit tomorrow and we wish for you to get closer to her. You are a young man and the prince of Britain, you'll have to find someone to marry soon." My father says and my heart sinks. I try not to show how much I hate to have the pressure of having to find a spouse.

"Yes father." Me and Sherlock quickly finishes eating and then leaves. Back in my chambers I give an innocent chair a kick.

"Why do I haven't​ to marry!?" I groan. "And why can't I be normal and want to marry. Everyone wants to find a girl to marry. But not me. The one person who kind of has to marry." I exclaim angrily and plop down on the couch with my arms crossed. Sherlock just sits in his usual spot on the sofa and stares at me.

"Well I'm sure you can postpone the search for a woman for a couple of months at least and then find a wife, Prince." Sherlock reassures me with a faint smile that doesn't seem much for a happy one.

"But Sherlock,  I'm not sure I'll ever want to marry a woman. Because... I just don't want to." I sigh again.

"Then marry a man?" Sherlock says and my head shoots up. I never really thought about that possibility nor given my sexuality a thought. I put my hands together and tries to do as Sherlock does when he thinks, going to my 'mind palace'. Sherlock seems to deduce of me that I'm thinking over it and leaves me alone. Well he isn't allowed to leave me alone but he goes to his bed and lies down to give me some space.

Written: 11th February 2017
Published: 13th February 2017
Words: 1014