in which recovery sails by

"She's growing nicely. Luke says she's going to be a big baby." Ginger places a hand on her big stomach. Seven months into her pregnancy and Ginger is glowing. She's so beautiful with her short hair curled and her eyes bright with a light eyeliner. My sister has grown fond of our doctor, Luke. The two have been caught several times a little too close for whatever they have to be just a doctor-patient relationship.

"Have you picked a name?"

My sister smiles fondly at me. We've grown closer since my incident, she's even volunteered to watch Prim while Basil is at school. The winter has been brutal, the snow coming in steadily. January is always pretty harsh around here.

"Yeah, her name is June. June Beckett."

My heart skips a beat. I love kids, and name picking is always my favorite part of having children. "That's so cute, Ginger Spice."

"Thanks, Rose Garden, it means a lot coming from you." Ginger stands from her seat on her couch and embraces me. Our stomachs, hers bigger than mine, rub together awkwardly but the hug is still warm. "How have you been? Is little Rosemary treating you well?"

I nod, this time I gently cradle my stomach. "Honestly, I think it's going to be a boy. I've been craving sweet and sour chicken and pistachio ice cream, just like I did with Basil."

Ginger giggles. "Ew, I remember that! For Christmas I got you a gallon of that gross ice cream." Primrose runs in, her two ponytails flipping around as she chases the kitten Ginger adopted. Poor cat, my child is scaring the thing to death. "Hey, Rosemary?" I turn my attention away from my daughter and back to my sister. "Are you keeping the plant names up?"

A smile graces me face. "Of course. I wouldn't want to let Mother down. Clover didn't do it, and now you aren't, so I will."

Ginger and I stay in her apartment discussing random things until quarter to three. My alarm to pick Basil up from school blares, scaring Ginger's cat. I help Primmy into her pink bubble coat, scarf, hat, and gloves. The two year old pulls her Uggs on herself, proudly smiling up at Ginger and me. After pulling my coat on and adjusting my hat I pull my little sister into a hug.

"See you soon, Ginge. Primrose, come say goodbye to Auntie."

"Goodbye Auntie Spice!" Primrose races to Ginger and hugs her leg. Ginger squats down to kiss her cheek before seeing us out. Once Primmy pets the cat once more she clasps my hand. Together we go down the stairs and out into the flower shop. Business is slow, but in about two weeks, when Valentine's Day comes around, we'll have people coming in by the dozens. 

I help Primmy buckle herself into her carseat before getting myself in. Primrose's cheeks are flushed red, the chilling wind nipped at her from the short walk to the car, so I turn the heater up. My baby unzips her coat, the heat already getting to her.

The drive to Basil's school takes ten minutes faster than it usually does. Primrose complains the entire five minutes we have to wait for her brother. My son comes into view and my eyes widen when I see my mother with him. Basil's smile doubles when he sees the car. His Timberlands keep him from running too fast, but once he reaches the car and he's seatbelted he starts rushing words at me.

"Grammy said we're all going to dinner then to the outside mall later!"

My mother smiles a good ol' grandma smile at my children, but she doesn't get into the car. I know for a fact she didn't drive here, because Father never allowed her to learn as the man is the sole provider of the family and that includes transportation.

"Mom, get in the car." Her eyes widen and she slides into the passengers' seat. Prim gives a shy wave before picking her DS up and plugging her headphones in. Basil preoccupies himself with my IPad. Once I know they aren't pay attention and I'm on the freeway I glance at my mother. "Why'd you tell him that?"

"Rosemary, I want to be more involved in everyone's lives. Ginger invited me for a night out and it's only fair to include all my children and grandchildren."

"Clover's coming?"

"Of course, and Paris and the twins." I sigh. It doesn't sound like a bad idea. It could be fun. I haven't had quality time with my brother for what feels like years. Oh wait, it has been years. "I know I should--."

I cut my mother off just as I exit the freeway and turn onto Clover's street. The man never has nights off so we might as well make the best of it. "Don't worry about it, Mom, it'll be fun."

I smile at her and I get the same in return.