in which dinner sails by smoothly

Mother exits the car first, almost tripping over herself. She rushes into the open arms of my older brother, followed by his wife. I, on the other hand, take my time collecting my purse and Primrose. Fredrick and James rush to the car, meeting Basil half way.

"B, come look at this sick remote control car my mom got us!" Fredrick exclaims, pulling both his brother and my son by the elbows back into his home.

Great, just great. When we get back home I'm going to get hit with "can I get a remote control car?" Kids, you love them whole hearted until they ask for toys they will only play with for a week.

"G-Ma!" Prim calls, her arms flailing and her body leaning away from me. Automatically my arms tighten around her. One day she's going to fall right on her ass.

Mother swoops in and grabs my whining child from me with a soft, wrinkled smile. Leaving both my brother and me without anything to hold.

"Rosemary," Clover addresses.

"Clover."

We stare at each other, no one making a word, for a moment. Paris excuses herself and heads back inside.

As our mother walks past us we gear into action. It has nothing to do with her side eye.

"Hey," Clove clears his throat, "glad you came."

"Yeah, it'll be fun." We share a quick hug as it is then interrupted by a stampede of children rushing to the two cars. I chuckle at the last in the group, Primrose of course, trying to push her boot covered feet harder in an attempt to keep up with the boys. That one doesn't give up.

Basil notices how hard his sister is trying to keep up, and he hesitates on touching his door handle. Instead, he slows down and Primmy races by him, gripping her door handle before him. She jumps in joy, her pink cheeks shaking adorably.

"I wins!" She cheers. "I wins! I wins!"

"Won, honey, won."

"Momma, tat's what I says!"

All right. Whatever.

James' eyebrows furrow. "But Basil, you--."

"She won, J," Basil snaps. He turns from his cousins and high fives his sister. The two climb into my car, waiting to be taken to a Friday night family dinner.

A knudge on my shoulder removes my attention from my children. Clover gives me a crooked smile and a shrug of his shoulder. "You got good kids, there, sis."

I scratch the back of my neck in an almost awkward way. I do have good kids. They listen (for the most part) and know right from wrong (usually). Baze is even learning how to be more compassionate towards his sister and me.

"Yeah, I do, don't I?"

➖✖➖

"We both want burgers, Momma."

I glance at the children's menu in front of Basil. His messy drawings overlap a lot of the writing, but I can understand the simple options they're offering. It's all the basics: chicken strips and french fries, macaroni and cheese, a single patty burger.

Primrose has sprawled herself across my open lap and a good portion of the booth. Her head is propped on my stomach, my iPad on my lap, and her legs behind her on the dark brown leather. Honestly, she looks ridiculous.

"Baze, Prim doesn't even like hamburgers."

His left eyebrow lifts. "Then I want the burger."

My fingers stroke Prim's little waves. "Baby, what do you want to eat? Look," I drag her untouched menu to her level, "they have macaroni and cheese."

"Mhm."

Bitch, look at me. Crossy Road can wait.

"All right then."

Red Robin's is more than half way packed tonight. Clover insisted we eat here tonight because he loves their medium well burger. I'm more of a Ruby Tuesday's, open salad bar kind of girl but whatever he's paying.

"Sorry we're late!" Ginger rushes to the booth, her and Luke sliding into the two open spots. "Traffic was a bitch on West 170. Anyway, did you guys order yet?"

"Nope, we just sat down," I answer before Mother can. Because the first words she's going to ask is "why is the doctor here?" It's her dream one of us bring home a doctor. Not be a doctor, bring home a doctor.

"So. . ." Mother starts, a sly smirk following, "why is the doctor here?"

A blush rises on Ginger's face and immediately we all know. Little Ginge is in love with the OB/GYN.

"Aweee!" Fredrick, Basil, and James all chorus mockingly. Paris knocks her boys upside the head as a man with a thick, curly beard comes up to the table.

He better not be cooking my food tonight.

"Hi, I'm Brandon and I'll be your server tonight. Can I start you guys with drinks or do you need another minute?"

We all list off our drink orders and he scribbles, hopefully, everything down. Once he leaves Prim rises from my lap, sets the iPad on the table, and proceeds to tap away but this time sitting up. My hands instantaneously cradle my stomach as if the action makes him or her a little more safer.

"A doctor," Clover says slowly, almost like he's testing it out on his tongue.

Ginger grips Luke's hand. "We've been seeing each other since we met four months ago. Mother, I know you're not a fan of instant relationships, but Luke and I--."

"You have my blessings, Ginger Spice. I trust your judgement. My only concern is the baby."

Luke clears his throat, Ginger looking at her successful doctor boyfriend with something I've never seen before. Complete admiration. She admires the man, I can't believe it. Former party girl, "idgaf about anything but sex and liquor" Ginger Beckett is hopelessly in love with our OB/GYN.

"Missus Beckett, I will be adopting Ginger's child as my own as soon as she's born. I plan on being with your daughter forever."

"Why don't you two marry then?"

"Mother!" Clover and I exclaim simultaneously. Ginger blushes at our mother's words.

She reaches into her cleavage and pulls the end of her necklace out. "Actually, we're one step ahead." A ring dangles on the end of the silver chain. "My fingers are too fat for a ring right now."

Paris squeals and claps, tears in her pearly grey eyes. "Congratulations, Ginger and Luke!" Paris really is a romantic.

Prim claps, gaining everyone's attention. "Yes! I did it, lookie, Momma!"

She turns my iPad to show me she made it hella far in the game. I burst into uncontrollable laughter just as Brandon returns with drinks.

"Ready to order?"