Blood Matters

"He's a Weasley. One of the worst families out there," Draco said, sneering.

"Why?" Harry asked, honestly curious.

"Well, according to my father, one of the Weasley's family members married a Malfoy. Then the Weasley one cheated on the Malfoy one. It's a huge offense for a pureblood to be insulted that way, especially a Malfoy! Not to mention, the person the Weasley cheated with was a muggle!"

"That's awful!" Harry exclaimed. It must be bad to have everyone so worked up, Harry thought. "Can you tell me what being a pureblood means? What about what you called that poofy haired girl?"

"Mudblood?" Draco asked, and Harry nodded his head. "Mudbloods are people with tainted blood. For example, that mudblood, with the blood traitor, that we saw? Her parents are both muggles," said Draco. "Therefore, her blood is tainted. As for purebloods, like me and the other Malfoys, we've always been wizards or witches, and have never been with a muggle. Why would you want to?" Harry nodded in agreement, before Draco continued. "We only marry other purebloods. I wonder if you're a pureblood? I'll have to owl father and ask."

"I hope I am," Harry said. "It'd be awful to be a mudblood."

"You might be pureblood, or at the very least almost. If anything your grandparents would be muggles, since your... family is," Draco said.

Harry made a humming noise in agreement, going back to his pile of sweets.

"Why do you call them family?"

Harry shrugged, "I don't know. Maybe I won't anymore."

"You shouldn't," Draco said, returning to his sweets, himself.