7

I pull up to Natalie's house and park in her driveway. Her house is completely dark, with only a single street light illuminating it. The house belongs to Natalie's parents, but she practically lives alone due to the amount of time her mother and father spend away from home. Her mom being a flight attendant and her dad being a pilot, they are always at other parts of the world.

Once I come to a stop, Natalie grabs her purse and opens the car door. She doesn't say a word as she exits the car and slams the door shut. I feel guilty, even though whatever she is upset about doesn't have to do with me.

I wait until she is safe inside her home to reverse the car out of the driveway. Ethan and I are now alone with each other. We remain silent until I abruptly halt at a stop sign.

"I feel like a chauffeur, come sit up front." I say and manage to laugh softly even in the incredibly awkward tension. Ethan does as a ask and moves to the front seat. There are no cars on the road, so it doesn't matter that I've been at the stop sign longer than I need to be.

Driving once again, I decide to be nice and try to get to know him.

Who knows, maybe I can cheer him up?

"So you live in the same building as me?" I say the first thing that comes to my mind, no matter how awkward it is.

"Uh yeah, I guess I do." He faces the window as he speaks, watching the trees pass.

"Do you live alone?" I cringe at how creepy that came out.

"No, I live with my brother, Grayson."

Oh yeah! The guy from the coffee shop that wanted a napkin. Would it be weird to ask if they are twins?

"Oh that's cool. Do you guys get along well?"

"For the most part. He can be pretty annoying at times." For the first time this car ride, he looks at me and chuckles quietly.

"I thinks it's the same with all siblings." I continue on with the topic, hoping to get more out of him.

"Yeah, that's true. It's just weird because we look the same." He replies, this time laughing a little more.

I turn and smile at him, then immediately realize that I should probably be looking at the road, and turn back.

"You guys are twins?" I ask, although I already know the answer.

"Yep, for 19 years."

"That's cool."

"Yeah."

After those final words, the car goes back to the steady silence. I turn the volume on the radio up a little louder to drown out the tension. It fades away and I hum to the music.

Ethan startles me by suddenly reaching his arm out and turning off the radio.

"Listen, I don't want things between us to always be awkward. This has been one of the weirdest nights of my life and I just want it to end normal." The words come out so fast that he seems to be almost out of breath after saying them. His eyes are wide like he is surprised by his own words.

I open my mouth to speak, but nothing comes out. He notices my loss of words and continues speaking.

"Yes, you pepper sprayed me and I kinda despise you, but it doesn't always have to be like that. My life has been so shitty the last couple weeks and I just need something to be good."

He pauses and leans an elbow against the window and rests his head in his palm.

"Can we be friends or something civil like that?" Taking the corner of his bottom lip with his teeth, he guides his eyes back over to mine, creating eye contact.

I'm at a loss for words.

How am I supposed to respond to this?

Did I just get friend zoned by a guy I've never even had a relationship with?

"I-I....yeah. I would like that." I'm finally able to form a proper sentence.

Ethan lips attempt to make a smile and are nearly successful. I return a smile and direct my attention back onto the road. We are almost to the apartment complex.

Streetlights line the road and only a few people walk on the sidewalks. Most of the activity takes place a couple blocks from here, where the most popular restaurants are located.

As we arrive to the parking garage, I drive to my normal parking spot on the 3rd level and park my car. The spots next to me are empty, and I feel happy knowing that my car won't be scratched or dented by any clumsy drivers.

Back when I was in high school, my car would always get scraped by other students in the parking lot. People would rush and hurry into their spaces and always somehow manage to hit my car. It was awful, but hey, that's high school for you.

Once parked, we both get out of the car. I realize that we're going to have to walk the same exact way to get to our apartments since we are on the same floor.

I lock my car and double check that it is secured. Ethan stands by the trunk of the car and waits for me. Trying to make myself look occupied, I pretend to still be locking my car. I want him to walk up without me so we don't have to go together and make things even more weird.

"You can go ahead without me." I motion towards the exit to the parking garage that leads the the apartment building.

Ethan looks to where I'm motioning and then shrugs his shoulders.

"It's fine. I'll wait for you." He swishes his hair out of his eyes.

Dammit. Why does he have to be so polite?

"You really don't have too." I say, trying to sound more convincing this time.

Ethan just shakes his head and looks at me with a smirk.

"But I want too."